Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I LOVE my sidewinder bobbin winder. I can sit and load up bunches of bobbins and when I am sewing, I don't have to stop and un-thread the machine and go through the filling of the bobbin on the machine.
I love my sidewinder too. I bought the pink one so I could wind Viking bobbins on it. Works great and I've also rewound the prewound bobbins on it when they are empty.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
A plastic cone holder. It falls over every time you try to use it. Now I have a homemade one out of a plant saucer and welding rod that hubby made for me. It even has a spindle for filled bobbins. I love it.
OMG, your right on that! That drat plastic cone holder! What a waste of money! Yep, done that one!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Super Slider, genie bobbin washers, fabric covered stick that is supposed to help iron seams, and the Clover measuring tool that Nancy Zieman pushes---prefer the metal ones.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 PM

The purple "sit upon" cushion.....I guess my butt was too big, and I ended up by putting it in our quilt guild auction, the cushion that is. lol
Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM

I stand corrected on condeming the Dritz brand just because the Dritz items I used were inferior. Thanks for reminding us that it is judge an entire bag of apples by one bad apple in there.

As for the spinning cutting mat, I have never used it...just sitting there reminding me of how I just thought I had to have it because it would make my cutting jobs so much easier. Ha! My big old cutting mat & rotary cutter on my dining room table allows me to move around to all sides to get cut whatever angle I need to cut. I have kicked myself for yet another "mistake".
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Glycerin to soak marking pens....hmmm...wish I had kept that marking pen, I surely would have tried it. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Yep, your comment made me laugh too. (tee hee)
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
I have a few but top of the list for me is the martelli zip bind system big waste of money and the quilt halo just can't use it for some reason
Your answer made me remember that I bought the zip bind system years ago and it is still in a drawer untouched!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 AM

I bought a the large Sidewinder to wind Viking green bobbins because the small one will not. It winds them great and hold the bobbin nice and tight so it doesn't fly off, it even shuts off at the right load point. Problem is, in order for the thread to come off the bobbin in the right direction to actually sew with it, it has to go on the spindle upside down. (The large machine has a blue spindle which is strictly for green Viking bobbins.) When put on upside down, the little spring thingy that holds the bobbin is not quite in the right position so the bobbin doesn't sit square. This makes it wind wonky. It is very obvious that the person who designed the blue spindle never put a wound bobbin in a machine and actually SEWED with it. If the spring holder were just in a little different spot, I'd LOVE it. Or, if my machines were any other brand than Viking. I'm not an engineer, but I am very mechanical and I DO check engineers' work at work. I had to return it and get my money back. It worked great!! Just not for green Viking bobbins. :-(
Old 04-06-2013, 03:18 AM

Get rid of any ruler that is NOT Creative Grids and any gloves that are not Machingers.