Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-06-2013, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I think it would be kind of you to let us know the pattern name so we don't have to struggle with mistakes. I always advise my new quilting students to go to the website of each book or pattern before they begin cutting to check for pattern corrections. Twice I have started patterns that had errors, so now I know to check first.
Thank you for this suggestion...never thought about this!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by rebeljane View Post
I have bought pins before and some were blunt, I contacted the manufacturer by email and they sent me 2 packs of 2 1/2" glass head pins that cost $25.00 per pack in Australia. I also contacted Moda Fabrics about charm packs that were not the right size and got replacements plus extra. If you don't contact them when things don't work properly they will never be able to fix the problem. Just my thoughts!
You've changed my mind...My thoughts have been that it takes too much time and not worth the effort to contact the mfr. Now you've shown that it is definitely worth the time and effort.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 AM

The more I read, the more I agree! I forgot about the plastic cone holder - >>> don't buy one.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
That is so funny! I actually use a toilet paper roll with a length of selvage 'string' thru it as a necklace to roll my binding onto, and love how it keeps it straight and neat.

Jan in VA
Had to smile when I read this - I use an old yarn winder (minus the thing that makes the yarn move back and forth), place a toilet paper roll on it and wind away. Be careful not to stretch your binding. I can then write on the cardboard how many inches I have, when binding smaller pieces of left over binding.
Renda in VA
Old 04-06-2013, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I LOVE my sidewinder bobbin winder. I can sit and load up bunches of bobbins and when I am sewing, I don't have to stop and un-thread the machine and go through the filling of the bobbin on the machine.
I would love to know if this gadget works with Viking machines. I have an old Husqvarna and I've heard this doesn't work well with the H bobbins. Glad to hear you like the sidewinder bobbin winder. What machine do you have?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 AM

I love my sidewinder. Knock wood, I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:25 AM

During the last 2 years or so, we began to get more info and ads in quilt magazines about "wonderful new"
quilting gadgets, to make the whole process of quilt making "easier and faster" from begin to end. And now that we
get even more of these ads, I have begon to think seriously about what the goal of a quilt lover and quilt maker
should be... Is it to plan and work carefully to make a gorgeous piece of art, or just simply to cut, sew fabrics
together, and finish the project as soon as possible? Many of these gadgets which are on sale in quilt shops,
at quilt expo's and via Internet, are very expensive. What do you do with them, when you no longer need them?
I have always gotten excellent results with well-known products such as quilt mats, rotary cutter, light cardboard
to make templates, pins and (quilt) needles. Our grannies and great-grannies made beautiful quilts with only
simple tools such as scissors, needles and pins, to create their gorgeous projects.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 AM

Bella Boo - thanks so much for posting the photos of the two 1/4" rulers. I do have the one on the right and that is what we were told to buy for the paper piecing class. No wonder it didn't work for me!! Now I don't feel so inept.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM

My favorite mistake was Pinmoors. If you don't know what they are, google them. I paid a whopping $40 for a set of 50 yellow ones. Turns out, they are not as easy to use as illustrated on the website. They are hard to push into the pin, at least for me and some of my pins buckle under the effort. I rarely use them and would gladly return them but too late for that. Let me tell you about one of my favorites, the Sip-n-snip. It is a gadget that went to my quilting weekend and I love it. You attach it to anything, table, cabinet, machine, etc. It holds a 32ounce bottle or large glass and has a scrap bag attached that is very easy to empty. This one was worth the money, about $25.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 AM

You are so right there!!!!
Originally Posted by jeanneb52 View Post
ot of my "stuff" might be useless but I had fun buying it and love to haul some of it out and try it again... Some day you'll buy it all at my estate sale!
You are so right there!!!!