Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles >

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Useless Quiling Gadgets & Other Boondoggles

Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt View Post
I got a sidewinder as a gift and have never used it. I got a mini iron, a toy iron heats that hot, again as a gift. I got an extra light for my machine, it won't stay put, again a gift. I do wish my husband would stop getting me these useless things. I know it is the thought that counts and really do appreciate them even though I will not be using them.
I had to chuckle when I read this. What I do now, after getting gagets I wouldn't use from hubby, I have a *special* drawer that I put *special* items in that I would like as gifts. Everything from sewing to jewelry. He loves it! Sometimes I even forget what I've put in it so it is a surprise. Win win situation. Easy shopping for him and I get what I want/need. Guess it all comes down to what works best for each couple.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I LOVE my sidewinder bobbin winder. I can sit and load up bunches of bobbins and when I am sewing, I don't have to stop and un-thread the machine and go through the filling of the bobbin on the machine.
Me too! I use it daily
Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cstout View Post
I was looking at all those "non quilting" objects that you all have snatched from everythwre & it dawned on me we must have a ton of stuff purchased that was absolutely a bad mistake.

Let's get together & name names & point the finger at these things that did not work as specified, so others won't make the same mistake we did.

Oh yes, let us not forget classes, books & sewing machine gadgets too!

OK, that said - here are my latest flops -

Box of large quilting pins from Wally World, Dritz I believe.
Back in the day, that name was reliable, but not any more. One stab at my 3 sandwich layers & that pin buckled up in a distorted glob & broke in two pieces. They are not made of metal like they used to be...some aluminum &^&^%%.

Blue marking pen - again, same brand & store.
Did not even mark once....all dried up & totally useless, sucking on it & dipping in water never budged a drop of blue to appear.

Your turn....
If you put some alcohol in it it will soften up, don't throw those away, but if new take it back.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 AM

I took a year long class to learn how to use my then new sewing machine. Every month we were told to use a certain technique on the machine, which was fine but. The didn't really spend much time showing how to use it plus we had to buy attachments and more special thread and other stuff to make each block. They never mentioned how much this class was really going to cost. I stopped going after 6 months and the only thing I learned was how to applique with my machine, which I could have learned on my own. I have to say I don't take classes any more. Most of what they teach I can figure out on my own.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 AM

I don't like it when it is a requirement to purchase the fabric from the shop where the class is being held.
Some times I like to use from my stash. Or buy from a different source.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
simplicity rotary cutting machine. Fortunately it was a gift so no cost to me, but I feel bad not using something a friend paid a good bit of money for. I can not get it to cut straight. It is ok for cutting scraps into strings if you don't care if they are perfectly straight but that is all, IMHO.
Ditto that one. It only cuts up to a 2 1/2 strip, and I wanted more. One of the first to buy this, tried it once there it sits, keep thinking I should giveit one more try.
Pat
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I LOVE my sidewinder bobbin winder. I can sit and load up bunches of bobbins and when I am sewing, I don't have to stop and un-thread the machine and go through the filling of the bobbin on the machine.
But can't you do that just as easily with your machine winder?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by dcamarote View Post
My favorite mistake was Pinmoors. If you don't know what they are, google them. I paid a whopping $40 for a set of 50 yellow ones. Turns out, they are not as easy to use as illustrated on the website. They are hard to push into the pin, at least for me and some of my pins buckle under the effort. I rarely use them and would gladly return them but too late for that. Let me tell you about one of my favorites, the Sip-n-snip. It is a gadget that went to my quilting weekend and I love it. You attach it to anything, table, cabinet, machine, etc. It holds a 32ounce bottle or large glass and has a scrap bag attached that is very easy to empty. This one was worth the money, about $25.
Glad to read your post, I had hovered on the brink of buying these when I decided to do something myself, first tried earring backs, too large, then got the bright idea to buy 1/4 inch craft foam and cut it with rotary cutter into 1/4 inch strips which I then cut into little 1/2 to 3/8 inch pieces, these work fairly well, some come off and occasionally I get stuck but overall work ok for my quilt as you go projects, I bought the bright neon orange so it was easy to see the little pieces which I store in a baggie.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM

EQ6... Never used it, lent it to a friend who has not used it in a year's time. Would like to sell it. When I bought it I specifically asked if it would help me design non block art quilts and was told YES. I took a class (after a few months of not being able to figure it out on my own) and, before signing up I asked if they would be going into making one's own designs, as in art quilting, and was told "yes". Well, before the third class (I paid $50 for the 3 classes even though the first one had already been done... that's how desperate I was) I asked again if we would be getting some non-block instructions and was told yes... but it didn't happen. So I printed out all the manual pages and tried again to figure it out. I couldn't do it. What a waste of money!!!! I've asked for my friend (who hasn't used it) for it back because I want to sell it. Someone who does blocks might really get a lot out of it, but it is useless to me. I must add that I'm in my 70s and get frustrated with electronics, especially computers and cell phones. Ironically, I did programing in the 80s.... those were the days you could easily go into the gut of the computer and change things. Now it is all done for us and every week there are new terms (words) for us to learn and I've decided I'm simply electronically challenged! AAAAAAGGGGGH!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM

I know what you mean, mine was the Table-Top Bobbin Winder. It works for all machines but the Pfaff. And of course, that is all I have. Waste of money I could have bought more fabric with!