Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you buy for a 72 year old first time bride? >

What do you buy for a 72 year old first time bride?

What do you buy for a 72 year old first time bride?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Question What do you buy for a 72 year old first time bride?

My friend and colleague, long ago retired, is getting married for the first time. She is 72, all I can say is wonderful. She is a great person and I am so happy for her. We have been invited to the wedding, and I am making her a quilt as a gift. The problem is what do I buy for the bridal shower? Between her and the groom, a widower, they have everything they need. Any ideas for a shower gift, I was sort of thinking of a nice set of towels. Thanks for the input friends.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

A nice serif towels with their new initials embroidered would be nice. A gift certificate to a nice restaurant might be nice too.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

How Sweet!
(and Canadian too!!)

Perhaps do something that coordinates with your quilt?

I like Tartan's idea of monogramming ... towels, table linens, glasses/crystal, stationary etc. with their initials

Even though they both have more than they need, they will enjoy getting things that are "theirs" instead of "yours/mine". So think of what you would normally give, and perhaps follow thru on the traditional.

Another thought ... maybe they would sooner have gifts made in their honour to a charity fo their choice? When my Uncle re-married (in his late 70s!), I chose a charity to which they both had strong connections and they were thrilled.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Does she have a good sense of 'laugh-at-myself' humor?
Do you know her well enough to make it a funny gift?
Has she been to many showers herself over the years?
Does she know that many showers bring gifts of lingerie, personal items, references to sexy things and having babies? She *may* be past some of those in her life now, but would she enjoy being reminded that a new bride - of any age - deserves those sweet reminders? I'm talking tasteful but definitely feminine.....not a long flannel gown, but maybe more than one guest could go in with you on a short cashmere robe, for instance, in a pretty, girly color. Or a collection of products in her favorite scent.

Otherwise, monogrammed items with her new initials.
Or a sterling frame for her wedding picture/s.
Or engraved address book to accommodate the addresses of both of their circles of family/friends.

Jan in VA
Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Gift cards for restaurants? Gift cards for gas? Gift cards for groceries? A nice long pretty nightgown with a matching robe and bedroom shoes?

Please tell her Congratulations!!
delma
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Could you make a pair of pillowcases that will match the new quilt to come? A taste of what they are getting? Maybe a set of coordinating sheets to go with it?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM

A spa day.

Every woman deserves a day at the spa before her wedding day.

My Mum is older and only wants experiences, not things at her stage of life.

Although gift certificates for meal etc are nice, what about actually taking them out for dinner? She does not have children, what about helping with the wedding?

A wedding day emergency kit, with pins, and extra pair of stockings, sewing kit, mini first aid kit, small make up kit etc could be a nice gift.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Could you make a pair of pillowcases that will match the new quilt to come? A taste of what they are getting? Maybe a set of coordinating sheets to go with it?
This was what I was going to type.
or even pillow shams that match the quilt
Old 04-09-2013, 04:37 PM

My aunt married for the first time at 65. They combined 2 households into 1 small one. Some of the things the family got them included towels, linens, new stainless silverware, and gift certificates to bed and breakfasts. Their church threw her a personal shower- which she said was "silly", but she enjoyed every minute of it. They already had plenty of linens and towels, which were donated. I know my aunt enjoyed having new things for their new life together. This was about 30 years ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 PM
ro
Banned

gift certificates to a restaurant is nice. gift certificate to lines and things. gift certificate to anyplace. even though they are merging homes, i'm sure they could use some new things too. after old. have you stopped to look at your own towels lately. i know i could use a set of nice towels. but a gift certificate to anything never hurt. they can buy what they want. she waited long enough. good luck to both.