Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So I need a new iron >

So I need a new iron

So I need a new iron

Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Default So I need a new iron

Well after 10+ years it is time for me to invest in a new iron and I am looking for your input. I want an iron that has great heat and steam and must NOT have an automatic shut off. That just drives me crazy. Price is not a factor because it is much more important to get something that has the features I want and will last for a few years. I look at it as an investment in my happiness.

So what iron would you buy? Do you have one that you just love and would recommend it to another person. Makes and models are appreciated.

I'd also be interested in knowing about any irons you HATE and why.

Thanks a bunch!!

Ronnie
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM

I've had a $9.99 Continental from $ General for about 5 years. It does not have auto shut-off, gets and stays hot and makes great steam. I bought it about 9pm one Sat. night after my old one died and I did not want to drive 15 miles to get a new iron. I thought I'd be replacing it when I could get somewhere to get a better one. It has worked great for me--and the price couldn't be beat!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM

I love my Rowenta with the steam reservoir in the separate base. Maybe holds 2 cus of water. Doesnt shut off and the dry heat and steam are both outstanding. No leaks. Mine is probably 10 years old too and works like new.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

If you use the search function you will get many, many iron recommendations and pans. We have discussed this recently. My favorite is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I have a Rowenta that leaks.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If you use the search function you will get many, many iron recommendations and pans. We have discussed this recently. My favorite is the Black and Decker Digital Advantage. I have a Rowenta that leaks.
I saw the Black and Decker Digital today at Tuesday Morning. Wondered if it was any good, or just a gimmick. Do you have to set the temperature, or is it automatic?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it is a gimmick. I've used it for a long time. I push a button to pick a temperature between 1 and 10 I think. Can't remember, just click to the top. I'm only speaking from my own experience. I like the way it feels in my hand, and gets pretty hot. It does have auto shut off which is annoying to some people, but, not to me. I just give it a shake and it comes back to life pretty quick. Years ago it was one of the top rated by Consumer Reports.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect iron. I have had all different brands, prices and features...they all fall apart too fast. I have 2 rowentas...one leaked and the other burnt up. I now get cheap $20 ones and expect them to last about a year. So far I am not disappointed.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM

I have spent hundreds of dollars on irons, including two Rowentas. Both of them ended up leaking when I fill them up more than half way. At the quilt shop where I work, we have Rowentas that have the exact same problem and we usually use a cheaper, more dependable iron. For home, I ended up buying a T-Fall at Walmart for like $39 and it works like a dream. Lots of steam, doesn't leak, and has an auto shut-off, which can be irritating when I have to reheat the iron while I'm working on a project, but it's important for me since I never remember to turn the iron off.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:57 PM

I too have made big $$$ investments in Irons.... no more , I buy Black and Decker at Walmart they last just as long as the expensive irons , and I don't mind replacing when I need to.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM

I have a rowenta, has auto shut off but heats up so quick that it is not much of a problem. The steam can't be beat.