Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selvage Savers Savvy >

Selvage Savers Savvy

Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 AM

I have saved selvages for a while as I have seen some neat projects made with them. So far I have made a pincushion and used them to make fabrics for my art quilting. I do have plans for other projects. I try to keep the selvages 1/2" to 3/4".
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 AM

When I cut off my selvages, I usually leave almost a 1/4 inch of white on the fabric I will be using. If the printing goes to the edge, I just cut off the very edge where the fabric is thicker and seems to want to shrink. If making binding, I can leave almost all of the white on, and put that where it will be folded over and covered.

Do I save what's left. Of course! LOL Those are strings for gardening, to hold up my bird feeder and fly trap, to tie up morning glories, to tie up packages and bags of batting. They are very strong. I waste very little, but I try to keep things organized so I know where to find it and it doesn't look like a mess.
When the season is over they can go out with the greenery.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:32 AM

I would love them also, and would gladly pay postage also. I have been saving them now for about a year and would like to make a quilt from them.
Also, I save the labels from clothing. Been doing this for about 20 years to make a quilt. Almost have enough for a king sized. Would love it if you would save these for me also. And again would happily pay the postage.
Thank you!!!
Karen
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 AM

I started saving selvages about three years ago....have made my share of "selvage items".....last year I gave away a bunch for cost of postage......BUT not sure if out of habit or because they are so cute, I still save the silly things. I try to leave a 1/2" to 1/4" piece of the main fabric to show on the primary piece. I cut the unprinted side and save for packages, plants, etc. QuiltE, if you'd like some to get you started (kind of like starter yeast)let me know and I'll send a few your way......saving them becomes addictive and once you start, I guarantee, you'll never be able to throw any away again without a twinge of betrayal....HeeHee!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I started saving selvages about three years ago....have made my share of "selvage items".....last year I gave away a bunch for cost of postage......BUT not sure if out of habit or because they are so cute, I still save the silly things. I try to leave a 1/2" to 1/4" piece of the main fabric to show on the primary piece. I cut the unprinted side and save for packages, plants, etc. QuiltE, if you'd like some to get you started (kind of like starter yeast)let me know and I'll send a few your way......saving them becomes addictive and once you start, I guarantee, you'll never be able to throw any away again without a twinge of betrayal....HeeHee!
Too funny, wendiq, and unlike starter yeast you don't have to fuss with it on the kitchen counter. They grow on their own in a plastic sack, empty bin, where ever!!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Let me start by saying, I have not been a selvage saver
though I have been considering doing so.

I've started this thread to encourage a discussion about Saving Selvages.
... the good, the bad and the ugly!!!!

Some questions that could help me, and hopefully many other people ....

1. Do you? or Don't you? save selvages.
.......yes

2. Why do you save selvages?
.....they make most excellent kitty & doggy toys/annoyers

Do you have an end-purpose-project planned? What?
.........to annoy my furball quilt partners, tie staked plants & tying fabric bundles saved for or from special projects.
....they are also handy to tie long rolls of clear viny, drafting paper rolls, older quilts, wrapping paper, basically anything in long roll that can be a problem to store neatly.

Do you keep them for historical reference,
in case you need more later?
.......absolutely not!

3. How much do you keep ... width? length?
.....any length that is long enough to be tied together to make it longer

What do you do with them, once they have been cut off?
.......fold neatly, tie in a yarn type "hank", store in the box marked "selvadges"

4. What questions have I not asked? Please answer those too!!
.....why are we, as quilters, obsessed with selvadges? .....what to do with them. ....what others do with them.

More commonly known as Other Comments!

Many Thanks to One and All!!

... anything and everything on this subject is most welcome!
and there is probably more that i didn't remember/think of yet. brain needs more green/ginseng tea before proper functiong status achieved on monday mornings
Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM

sad to say I've been throwing them away up until now and I'm trading with a lady on the board, but since I buy fabric every week I'm going to make me some chickens, thanks for the link
Old 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM

I have made some tiny purses, mug rugs, and ties out of the selvages. I also have a large plastic jar full of them and it makes a colorful decoration in my sewing room.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Too funny, wendiq, and unlike starter yeast you don't have to fuss with it on the kitchen counter. They grow on their own in a plastic sack, empty bin, where ever!!
WendiQ ... nope! Not going to lure me into this!!! I'm just going to be keeping mine so I know what I have used ... when I say, darn, wish I had more! Then no doubt, I will moan and groan and whine and whimper because I can't find anymore. So not sure if there's any sense for me to keep them, then!! As for the friendship starter, if you could figure a way to get it to me, I would be delighted. Instead .......... I'll let you send the selvages to OKSGlad ... she has lots of space for them to go forth and multiply!!!!! :
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]410770[/ATTACH]

How about this??? It's not mine - found it online. Now this is something you can do with selveges! Isn't is gorgeous??!??

Jane
Attached Thumbnails selvege-quilt.jpg