Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't stop sewing scraps...Part 2 need color advice >

Can't stop sewing scraps...Part 2 need color advice

Can't stop sewing scraps...Part 2 need color advice

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 AM

I vote yellow! So cheerful and happy.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:27 AM

Have you thought about a THIN (1 " finished) strip defining (sashing) each of your blocks? Black would work really well. Just enough dark to separate (pop) your blocks but not interfere with that GREAT look you have achieved. If size is an issue you could always add a border or 2 of what else? Scraps !!! to go along with your blocks. That way you stay in the same "family" and aren't creating anything new for the eye to go to.... IMHO I always like black as a STOP! for my eye! Gonna be great whatever you decide. be sure to post when finished, Happy Scrapping.......
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM

I would stand back away from it and choose a color that catches my eye. Any color will work with so many to choose from, and whatever color you choose will bring that color forward in your quilt. It is going to be gorgeous no matter what you choose
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM

I would go with a shade of yellow. Can never have too much sunshine in your home. Love the scrappy blocks - yes, it is addictive
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM

I think I would decide who would receive the quilt first, then select the color based on their preferences. You could really use just about any color so it would be easy to go with the owners choice. If you are keeping it, then you get to choose and could go with a room décor, a season, or just what you love.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 AM

I would use a color that coordinates with the room you will use the quilt in.....they are all so colorful and pretty. What is the predominant color in the blocks? You could go with that. I bet that was a lot of fun creating them.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM

What stands out to me when looking at them is the yellow and the red. Either of thos would work well.
Very pretty by the way~
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I did a crumb quilt and wanted to avoid b and w but ended up with black, really made it stand out. the grey on the carpet is nice too
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Red gets my vote. Did you use the mile a minute method for scraps
Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Well, I have been sewing those scraps day after day and have come up with 48 blocks that are 6 1/2 in squares. Now I think I want to sew 2 inch strips between each block and row. As you can see from the picture I think I have every color imaginable in this hodge-podge and now I'm stuck on a solid color for the strips that will 'frame' them. I kinda want to avoid white or black....too traditional. Any suggestions?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415645[/ATTACH]
That's happened to me before. I'm also a scrap fiend. My suggestion is to set them on point, use a deep color, say red or blue - no pastels - as either sashing and/or a separate block in between. Sort of to ease your eyes. Or even use black. That might work as well. But I don't think white or any pale color will do justice.