MIL's.......

Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Default MIL's.......

I read the one post about the MIL leaving her empty water glass on the table and it got me to thinking about my MIL and my thinking. Since my husband and I married, I have sent my MIL flowers on my husbands birthday, thanking her for the life of her wonderful son. I send them to remind her of a job well done on raising such a wonderful man and how much I cherish her son. I have a wonderful MIL.. she is not the kind to put her nose into your business etc.. she understands her children's life are theirs.. she doesn't take sides just because it is her son/daughter... but who she feels is in the right. I never had the chance to meet my DH's father, as he passed away when my DH was 14. My DH mostly remembers his dads failing health his entire life. BUT he did end up with thee most wonderful step father any human could ever ask for... and oh I miss that man to this day. Life is so short.. lets enjoy their love daily..

So I guess my thoughts are... they raised your spouse... the love of your life... praise them for that. They would not be the man you married without her help.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree with you. I never met my DH's father. My MIL is very much like yours. She never delved into her children's business. When I was up north this past June there were some dishes on the table and in the sink. I learned a long time ago when the time came she would get to them. There was too much fun to be had. leaving a water glass on the table?! Too much fun to be had. Found out later my MIL decided they were so old and cracked, she just pitched them and invested in Dixie! LOL! LOVE THAT WOMAN TO PIECES!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM

I had a great MIL. I miss her. Unfortunately I think I am the kind of MIL that people talk about. I am nosy and ust share my opinion. lol
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM

My husband is who he is in spite of his mother. Not all mothers are great people, but I definitely wouldn't care if she left a glass on my kitchen table ;-)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM

With all the problems in life a glass on a table is a small thing. Don't sweat the small stuff. Be thankful you're able to pick the glass up and take it to the sink.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
They would not be the man you married without her help.
...and some became the men they are in spite of their mother.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM

I really loved my mother-in-law and still miss her. She never voiced her opinion or was judgmental. I felt more accepted by her than my own mother.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM

I, too, loved my MIL and she's gone too. I also still sorely miss my mother. She was one of a kind and I'm thankful I seem to be turning into her somewhat. She had a wealth of humorous sayings to cover almost any situation and YES she taught me the love of sewing, quilting and embroidery from the age of 7. That was when it wasn't cool to be seen in homemade clotes. I would love to be able to see her again just to thank her for all her efforts.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

My MIL at close to 88 has finally learned she doesn't need to tell everyone they are fat. We nicely explained to her that all overweight people already knew it. She adopted my DH to her Mother and neither one had a clue how to raise kids. At her age and not seeing her very often, I get along just fine with her.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:17 PM

I have to say that my mom is the best mother in law a daughter in law could ask for. Both my brothers had mother in laws that were horrible. One is still around, but lives half way across the US. My sister in laws appreciate my mom, and are always eager to do anything for her. One sister in law lives on the other side of our island, and she ran across the island to take my mom for a mammo on her side of the island, and brought her home. Mom felt that it was my sister in laws pleasure to do it.. I don't disagree.. The other sister in law makes sure mom is in the need of nothing. She calls before she goes to the super market, or anywhere to make sure my mom is not in the need of anything. I couldn't ask for nicer sister in laws. I love them like sisters. The best part is they are teaching their kids ( all in their 20's) that this is how you treat your mother in law.. Hopefully, they will have mother in laws like my mom!!!