Lizard IN OUR BED!!!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

well, I was looking forward to spending my last years in some state without freezing temps for months on end but maybe NE Ohio with a few spiders and a rarely seen garden snake isn't so bad. The mosquitoes in summer can be managed. scorpions? lg roach populations? house lizards? dang! another dream of warmer weather squashed! lol
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

LOL...That is too funny. That is part of living in the south. If there is a crack they will come in. I found a pretty green one in the bath tub a few weeks ago...He was in bad shape but was revived when I put him on the patio in the rain..
Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 AM

HORRORS! I hope south GA lizards don't get the urge to move to the big city!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Well as a native Texan I have had my share of scorpion,s . Only stung twice my kids once or twice. Had a rattlesnake in the garage for two weeks until we finally found him and chopped his head off. I had my worst time living on Taiwan we got cobras in the house and a long red lizard that was about 15 inches long that my yard man ran in and killed and told me was very deadly. More deadly snakes than I had ever heard of. I was afraid to let my kid's outside without me. One of the things that really gave me a fright was here in San Antonio a couple of years ago, I had bought a bunch of bananas and when I took them out of the plastic bag I had them in a very poison banana tarantula jumped out and spread his legs ready to jump. Thank goodness I was next to the sink and he and the bananas went in and I turned the water on and washed him into the garbage disposal. I had seen one on the local news a few weeks before found at another store and they showed it and told us if we saw one that that was what it was. I called the store to tell them to watch for more. I had a hard time buying bananas for a long time after that .
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Don't know if this really works but we were watching a show filmed in France and the housekeep would put boxes of lavender in the windowsills and around in rooms--she claimed it kept scorpions out.
Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
Large or small I would rather see a lizard then scorpions. A constant watch for. I put papers around the children's beds at night, you can hear them on the paper. We always checked our shoes in the closet before putting them on and threw back the bedding at night.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 AM

after reading all of these guess we should stay where we are was thinking of relocating because we are so far from anything but I am convinced isolation is better than these creatures I seldom ever see a spider and if I do most of them are tiny and the jumping kind seldom even have a fly in the house I think if I ever saw some of that stuff I would really have a heart attack
Old 08-06-2013, 05:07 AM

I went to Tx for the first time to help my MIL pack up her winter trailer after FIL went in the nursing home. It had been closed up for a while because they couldn't go down. I used the toilet and when I flushed it, I saw the huge roach swirling around! That thing was that close to my naked butt? Eewwwww! Gross! Now my son lives near Dallas, but I've never seen any at his house. I know it was because the house had been closed up.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
Thank goodness it wasn't a gator My sister lived in Fla. and came home late one night after doing a double shift to find a 4 ft gator in her kitchen and apparently she looked like a nice snack it chased her out the front door back to her car. She called gator control and after not finding it or how it got in she did the same thing. She had our brother go over the next day and move her stuff to his garage. He is a good brother -he never told her about the 7 ft gator he found under his work table in the same week after putting her stuff in there until just before she moved back to Fla a month ago and he teases her about gators loving her scent. He has a quirky sense of humor -he got her deer whistles to attach to her shoes to scare the gators off her scent
OMG, I'm so sorry for laughing, but this is so funny! She should'a called Gater Boys!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM

I had to look up Palmetto bug. I did not know that is a very nice name for the detested cockroach. Living in Texas we see those things all the time. My nightmare is having one crawl across me during the night. Don't ask me how I know, some things are best forgotten and I don't want to dredge up memories.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-10-2013 at 04:29 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-06-2013, 06:31 AM

Last week we had an episode with fruit bats in the house. They had entered the crawlspace outside under the eaves. We were told to seal it off so they could not use the entrance.

After sealing it, they wanted out, so they came in the cupboards above the microwave.
We had to unseal the outside area so they could use that entrance. We called several companies that do pest control, they are no help in treating bats. Since they have their maternity ward in our attic we need to let it run the course and re-seal the outside when they leave; in about 3 weeks.

In reading about bats, they do not carry virus's like mice and rats. Oh thank goodness.