Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My niece wants to learn! >
  • My niece wants to learn!

• My niece wants to learn!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 AM

Default My niece wants to learn!

I made both of my nieces a Jelly Roll Race quilt to cuddle under while watching TV. My oldest niece who is 13, asked me how long it took to make the quilt. I told her the truth, that it takes me longer because I work on quilts when I can but it didn't take all that much time total. She asked me if I would show her how to do it! I am so excited!

I have to take her fabric shopping and I have to decide what kind of machine to get her. I am not going to make her learn on a vintage mechanical machine but, she isn't getting a Bernina or a Pfaff either! I think for starting out piecing a Brother with needle up/down and thread cutter with a few decorative stitches will be just fine for her.

I'm thinking rail fence for her first quilt.
    Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM

I think that is a nice easy pattern to learn on or you could try Warm Wishes another easy pattern. Have fun teaching your niece to quilt I am sure you will both have a great time. Please show us when she has finished.
    Old 09-02-2013, 03:24 AM

It's great when youngsters show an interest in our wonderful hobby. I sure hope she takes to it and becomes addicted like the rest of us.
    Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 AM

Now's the time to buy an entry-level sewing machine. Our local JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics both have Janomes on sale for less than $100. Congratulations to you for taking the time to teach your niece a hobby that will last her a lifetime.
    Old 09-02-2013, 04:28 AM

Good for you! You are planting a seed. My Great Aunt taught me to needlepoint when I was 10, it started me on all sorts of needle arts that led to quilting.
    Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

How awesome!!!!!!!
    Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM
    Power Poster

Actually, learning on a vintage machine might be a good way to go. They're practically indestructible, are simpler than many more modern machines, and usually have a better stitch. Plus many of them have a nice cabinet so the machine bed is flat with the cabinet, giving a better work space. It's wonderful that your niece wants to learn.
    Old 09-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I made both of my nieces a Jelly Roll Race quilt to cuddle under while watching TV. My oldest niece who is 13, asked me how long it took to make the quilt. I told her the truth, that it takes me longer because I work on quilts when I can but it didn't take all that much time total. She asked me if I would show her how to do it! I am so excited!

I have to take her fabric shopping and I have to decide what kind of machine to get her. I am not going to make her learn on a vintage mechanical machine but, she isn't getting a Bernina or a Pfaff either! I think for starting out piecing a Brother with needle up/down and thread cutter with a few decorative stitches will be just fine for her.

I'm thinking rail fence for her first quilt.

Sounds like a plan. I wish I had needle down on mine.
    Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM

I am with Dunster about learning on a vintage machine, if you have one. If she is just learning at this point, the needle up/down feature is not a mega deal and the weight of one of the older machines will keep it from running around the table. A nice even stitch is better to learn with than the bells and whistles of a lesser quality machine.
    Old 09-02-2013, 05:11 PM

I know what you ladies mean about learning on a vintage machine, I started her sewing on a vintage Singer I took over to her house a couple years ago. She has also sewn on my Pfaff and has used my serger when we were making duvet covers for her brothers last fall so she isn't a machine newbie, she's new to quilting and I want her to enjoy the process as much as possible; I think a machine with a few bells will make it more enjoyable for her. Another plus is it will be HER machine and her responsibility to care for it. I think I will take her with me to shop for one.