Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Insurance rider for sewing/quilting equipment and supplies? >

Insurance rider for sewing/quilting equipment and supplies?

Insurance rider for sewing/quilting equipment and supplies?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM

I have a rider on my insurance policy. When I discussed the issue with my agent he did not understand the value of my stash. He said "this I have to see". When I explained that just one of the stacks of fabric was worth about $300.00 to replace , he then added up the stacks ...and said "yes you do need a rider". This is also because my sewing room is in the basement and there was a very specific limit on what $$$ amount would be covered. We had flooding(power outage with a storm) here a while back and the insurance companies changed the standard policy coverages. Evidently some people tossed items into the basement , so insurance would pay for full replacement. Technically we can not get flood insurance , but there are provisions for sump pump failure ( limited standard coverage) , which because of a power failure is what caused all of the basements to get knee deep in my area.
So when in doubt it pays to double check , and tell where in the house your valued sewing room and supplies are kept. My policy did not add that much $$$ to the total cost , but its nice to know for sure I am covered in the event of water in my basement.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

i submitted an itemized list with copies of purchase prices, quilt appraisals and pictures to be added to our home owners insurance- then when I started quilting for other people and making commission quilts I got a rider so if anything happened to a customer's masterpiece- or if something happened to the house with a customer's quilt in the house it too would be replaced- I keep good records of any customer quilts coming in and make sure to not have a lot of them stacked up. we have had our insurance agent for many years and he takes pretty good care of us- he calls and checks on what i'm doing & updates everything every couple years.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Reb

I did not realize exactly what replacement cost insurance meant. We had water damage to the corners of our walls and ceilings in several rooms. The "replacement" was for those areas to be painted. Well, literally I guess that is correct. I thought replacement coverage made one "whole". We couldn't get the painting done because it wouldn't have looked any better without painting the whole room. So what exactly will be replaced? Your 10$ a yard fabric or reimbursed at the cheapest fabric rate at the time of the claim? Because it can be bought for that it may be replaced at that cost. Just know what you are paying for, maybe even get the explanation in writing. It's what the insurance company thinks was damaged and that doesn't always concur with what the insured thinks.

Lori S. Thanks for the heads up. My new quilt room is in the basement too.

And, above all, let's hope we all never need to use it!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I would have any quilts that were very expensive to make or have been appraised, get the appraisal papers on file and you'll have that at least (heaven forbid) anything happens. Take inventory of everything you have Don't have to write everything down but you can take close up photos. That all comes under contents just like your entertainment centers.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:55 PM

My insurance agent told me to take pictures of everything - open the drawers and take a picture of each - then they will replace what is in the drawer. Works for the kitchen also - take a picture of your pantry or cupboards when they are full - that is what will be replaced.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM

If I had a TOL machine, i would certainly show proof to my insurance guy. Not worth the chance, IMHO.
Sandy
Old 09-04-2013, 04:32 PM

We're in a similar boat as LoriS. Can't get flood insurance even though our property, as a whole, will flood pretty much at the drop of a hat. Fortunately we've not had building encroachment YET! BUT, if our power goes out, yes, the basement will flood...and it has. We've had a foot of water in the basement. My sewing room is on the 2nd floor of the house and I don't really have a stash...only buy for projects. When the power goes out I run through the house and turn all the electronics off even though they are on surge protectors and battery back ups. I will even unplug the (computerized) sewing machine. BUT if I had a stash and multiple machines, particularly LA's or really high end machines, you can bet there would be a rider on my policy. Have one for jewelery. And some of my jewelery is not quite as expensive as some stash/machines that folks have.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 AM

Video taping is such a good idea BUT, have I done it , no. The bottom line is, check with your agent and be sure to make him aware of the vast amount of money you have invested. I have heard horror stories of insurance not covering the stash because it has no value, while the clothes in the closet do. Not in my house.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM

I had to get a new homeowners policy this summer, and this subject came up in the conversation. He suggested I pay an additional $300 to have "replacement cost" added to everything. I have a huge investment in sewing machines, long arm, and software, so this was his suggestion. We figured the total value fitted in the range allowed for furniture, jewelry etc. within the policy allowances. I told him my jewelry was my sewing machines. After all I DO have a HV Designer Diamond. But he said it is best to document everything with pictures and put them on a disk. I have that partially done.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

The best for me was to raise my deductible to the highest amount and then double our contents amount. Our policy is cheaper now then it was before the change. With doubling our contents amount we were able to drop the riders for some collectibles we have. We're not overly worried about theft so if that is a concern a rider may be better.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 09-05-2013 at 04:28 AM.