Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from CA (but may soon be from TX...) >

Hi from CA (but may soon be from TX...)

Hi from CA (but may soon be from TX...)

Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Hi from CA (but may soon be from TX...)

Hi everyone! I've been lurking around the site for a while now as I'm a beginner quilter. I started quilting when I saw some Beatles fabric in Joanns and since my daughter LOVES the Beatles I decided to make her a Beatles quilt. I bought the fabric and a Simplicity pattern there on the spot. When I got home and looked at all the paper templates I realized that since I didn't know really how to even sew with my sewing machine (husband is VERY good at sewing, knitting, needlepoint so I never learned as child or adult) that this was a disaster. I decided to just kind of wing it and went to my nearest quilting store and they helped me purchase some coordinating fabric. I did some research and found I could print pictures on fabric so I added that into the mix. I researched how to have it quilted and found someone inexpensive and she took care of the rest. Picture of completed quilt below!

Since that fateful Beatles quilt 2 years ago, I decided to take a beginning quilting class and loved learning from Laura Nownes. She helped me complete a second quilt for my niece. I have now made a bunch of baby quilts for friends/family, a double size quilt for my son and have in mind to make next a red and white double size quilt for our guest room. I think I'm hooked! I also have what seems like an embarrassing large amount of fabric I've collected from quilt hops, etc.

I live in the Bay Area and work for a venture capital firm as a secretary. My husband works for Chevron and it looks like we may have to move to Houston soon. Not crazy about the idea as I have a son in a good high school near our home where he's on a diving team (his passion). I also have a daughter who was married a year ago and is moving to DC to pursue a job with the FBI in counter terrorism.

I've learned a lot from this board lurking and am now jumping in to be more active and look forward to learning from all of you! Thanks!

Lisa
Attached Thumbnails beatles_1.jpg  

Last edited by lisa in ca; 09-11-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: subscribe to thread box forgot to check
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from S CA!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Hello and welcome from Spring, Texas. It's not so bad here, lots and lots of shops. And the people are great !
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Your quilt turned out super and I bet your daughter loved it.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM

That's so nice to know Misty's Mom! I worry about the weather more than anything else. I'm VERY acclimated to the weather here in CA and fear the heat and humidity combined.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Welcome from S CA!!!
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Good luck with whatever you do.l

Great quilt!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM

Welcome from SC Texas. I am a native Texas who has lived in your area some years back and loved it. At least here in Texas you wont have to worry about earthquakes.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Howdy and welcome, from another Texan! Your quilt is wonderful!!!

If you move to the Houston area, consider one of the surrounding areas, like Katy. It's less crowded and less likely to flood, when hurricanes come into the Gulf. We lived in Katy, before coming farther west (we're now closer to Austin). Fulshear is another good place to look.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Love all the advice on where to live! I've never been to Houston so it's going to take some time to figure out where to live, schools, commute for husband, etc. Any advice is great appreciated!