Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please give advise >

Please give advise

Please give advise

Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM

I do not wash new fabrics. But I do think it was necessary with old fabrics.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 PM

I've been quilting for nearly 40 years. I don't pre wash -- I use color catchers when I wash the quilt before gifting it. Have never had a problem with using the color catchers. Before those, I was a bit more selective with fabrics purchased and threw something white (like one of DH's old tshirts) in washer with it. Never had a problem then, either. I iron with steam but I don't pull the fabric, it works fine. There are many different ways to do things right!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 AM

I don't normally prewash. The one exception is if I am using a deep color that I think might bleed, then I prewash all fabrics that I will use in that particular quilt. I guess with me it is all or nothing. I also iron with best press before cutting my fabrics.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:19 AM

I don't pre-wash but I always wash the finished quilt with a color catcher. I know someday I will probably regret it but so far, so good.

And yes, that advice about ALWAYS covering the rotary blade is good. I do, but once I left it uncovered as I moved fabric for a second cut (rotary cutter was still in my hand) and I nicked the side of my hand with it. It drew blood even though I barely touched myself with it. You just can't be too careful with those things.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:28 AM

I would suggest the same thing, but instead of long strips, maybe some square sections. they are easier to join than the long strips. Definitely take the offered lessons if you are new to sewing. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM

It's personal preference. I personally don't prewash, I did when I first started quilting 3 years ago, but I got tired real fast of dealing with all the strings. I always steam iron all my fabrics. If I am not sure about a fabric, my washer has a steam setting that I use then throw it in the dryer. I do wash all my finished quilts with color catchers...I haven't had a problem yet. I have a red and white quilt that needs to get washed before I give it away, so I think I might run use two. Just do what works for you.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 AM

The only thing I prewash is flannel. It usually shrinks so much I want to make sure I have enough for the back of the quilt before I put it on the quilting frame.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM

There are so many reasons I prewash, I have lived overseas where a lot of it is made and seen how and where it was stored before shipping. Plus all the chemical's they put in the fabrics. Just last week I bought from several places and got home and was petting all my beautiful new fabrics before I washed them and my hands turned red and started itching so bad I had to start treating them with allergy cream. This had never been a problem for me before. I told one of the women who cut at one store about it this week and she said some time ago her husband had to come get her and take her to the emergency room as her hands started doing that and turned into blisters after she had worked with a new shipment. As a new sewer years ago I learned the hard way by having a beautiful project bleed and shrink. From that time on I have washed as soon as it came home with me.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM

I prewash all my yardage. Simply because I don't like the smell of the chemicals, gives me a headache, and they dry my hands out. I make my own starch that I use. I don't use the steam on my iron but I do have a spray bottle handy. I iron before I cut but not before then. I live in GA and don't want even the chance of encouraging creepy crawlies.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 AM

I have always been a prewasher but made Yellow Brick Road from FQ's. Told not to wash or they would shrink and not be enough for pattern. Then even though using black backing still told not to wash or my front would shrink differently than back when washed and pucker my quilt. OK so I obeyed only to have my black backing bleed badly when I washed the finished project even though I used color sheet. Washed twice with same results. Thankfully color sheet kept light color from top from being grayed but still those lights no longer pop with brightness they originally had and the cream colored label I made for the back turned dark gray mottled or marbled. I will definitely be prewashing from here on out no matter expect for charm squares that are precut for making purses.