Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a ton of Christmas fabrics...need suggestions on what to make >

I have a ton of Christmas fabrics...need suggestions on what to make

I have a ton of Christmas fabrics...need suggestions on what to make

Old 09-25-2013, 05:06 PM

I just saw the snake river quilt pattern on this board and it really would be gorgeous done in Christmas patterns.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 PM

[QUOTE=pasovasz;6310915]I used up BOXES of Christmas fabric to make Christmas Stockings for our Deployed Troops. Simple, one layer of fabric on the back and front, with or without a cuff -all are OK. FMI: http://www.operationcarepackages.org

Thank you for posting! I shared this with some of my GS friends. I will check my stash this weekend and whip up a few
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM

I made a fireside snuggler with some of my Christmas fabric. It was beautiful. The fabric was a piece I had for a couple of years and could not make myself cut in to small pieces.With this pattern I was able to keep my favorite fabric in a larger piece in the center of the quilt.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by nightquilter View Post
I made a fireside snuggler with some of my Christmas fabric. It was beautiful. The fabric was a piece I had for a couple of years and could not make myself cut in to small pieces.With this pattern I was able to keep my favorite fabric in a larger piece in the center of the quilt.
Is there a pattern or picture somewhere for fireside snuggler?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM

A woman after my own heart. I have a 30 gallon tub full of Christmas/Yule fabrics. I took my fabric out and draped it all around me one Saturday morning and spent the day going through patterns that I could use to make quilt tops. I will be making one reversible bed quilt (christmas snowballs on one side, winter themed alternating blue and white snowballs on the other). Then, several lap quilts, all of which will be tied because everybody wants flannel on the back. I will also be making a couple of large tote bags (to hold my quilting supplies for class) and a duffle bag for my cousin (she wanted christmas fabric and plans to use it year round). Don't forget festive pillowcases.

Below are the photos for making a reversible bag. Unfortunately, while I can find photos and pattern, I can't find the instructions for assembly.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...f8ce0bc11d.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/...6dc215f1_z.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4047/4...bbdc0728_z.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4036/4...91ec3a60_z.jpg
Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 PM

After you decide which great idea to use, put aside some of your favorite fabrics. Next time you want to test a pattern, do it in Christmas fabric. Before you know it, you'll have enough squares to make a sampler quilt or throw. You can do this is any group of fabrics that you like but don't know what pattern to use.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM

I can not find the pattern on line anywhere.I saw a quilt and the store owner let me draw the pattern.If you are interested and cant find it. I will find my pattern if you will pm me.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:24 PM

Lately I'm a big fan of half square triangles. Make a ton of them (for a really fast oroject make HSTs that finish to 8 inches or so) and just start playing around on your floor or design wall. You can make awesome patterns just by playing around. Also check out Jenny Doan's you tube tutorial on the disappearing 9 patch quilt and the big star quilt. They both look fast and easy. The big star quilt makes a 25" block that could easily become a wall hanging or table topper with just a border or two. Happy sewing!
Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Make gift bags! I've always hated wrapping presents and resented the waste of paper, ribbon, etc. About 10 years ago, I bought lots of Christmas fabrics and turned them into many simple cloth bags, using shoe laces and sweatshirt strings to close them. My bags were simple, but you could make one or both sides as complicated as you wish. Might be a fun way to try out different block patterns. (Hmmm, I'm inspiring myself now! I've yet to make bags for birthday gifts so maybe I'll take my own advice.) Anyway, my family is every bit as happy with these bags as they were with wrapping paper, and I breathe a huge sigh of relief every Christmas!