Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now! >

Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now!

Finally mastered flying geese - nothing can stop me now!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cormiae View Post
First I've heard of this Deb Tucker winclipper.Where would I find one?
Always such interesting information here.
studio180design.net
Old 09-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Love your enthusiasm. You are going to have great fun with them. When you learn how to put them on a curve, will you let me know so I can have you teach me?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM

I experienced this same happiness not too long ago, but I used Eleanor Burns method for the Flying geese.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Your method is called the "No Waste Flying Geese" and is so fun to do. There is another way to do it also: Lay a large square down and put a smaller square on top of it. I've seen it done, and I think I have done it myself, but forgot how. Could someone help us out with the directions for this one?
I think that is Eleanor Burns method - she too has special flying geese rulers. I love Deb Tucker's rulers. Actually I love most of the special rulers I have - save me time and help me to be precise.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
Love your enthusiasm. You are going to have great fun with them. When you learn how to put them on a curve, will you let me know so I can have you teach me?
I be quiltin too but I not be nuts!!!
When I can make a clever block like the ones in your acatar I will call you up LOL but I think you are going to get there before me
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Your method is called the "No Waste Flying Geese" and is so fun to do. There is another way to do it also: Lay a large square down and put a smaller square on top of it. I've seen it done, and I think I have done it myself, but forgot how. Could someone help us out with the directions for this one?
I think this is what you are asking about ... I think when I was taught this method I was told it is an Eleanor Burns method
Judy in Phx, AZ
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-27-2013, 02:55 PM

I was slow so I timed out before I could add instructions for about...
For a finished 2 x 4 unit. The sky fabric is a 7 inch square and the sky fabric is a 5-1/2 square. For a 4 x 8 finished unit the sky would be an 11 inch square and the sky fabric a 9-1/2 in square. I think photo are a little out of order at the end. After the first put right sides together opposite fabrics facing each other and edges matching. The scissors show the clip area half way between the first cut units so they will press flat. And the next scissors show the 45% angles. Hope this helps. Be sure to allow for the 1/4 in on first cut for the goose point on the top.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 09-27-2013, 03:31 PM

I LOVE Deb Tucker's Rulers!!!!! If you follow her directions, you wind up with perfect blocks EVERY TIME!! Well worth every penny I paid for the set........
Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
I was slow so I timed out before I could add instructions for about...
For a finished 2 x 4 unit. The sky fabric is a 7 inch square and the sky fabric is a 5-1/2 square. For a 4 x 8 finished unit the sky would be an 11 inch square and the sky fabric a 9-1/2 in square. I think photo are a little out of order at the end. After the first put right sides together opposite fabrics facing each other and edges matching. The scissors show the clip area half way between the first cut units so they will press flat. And the next scissors show the 45% angles. Hope this helps. Be sure to allow for the 1/4 in on first cut for the goose point on the top.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Wow! Thanks a million Judy. Before I found the directions, I had a time figuring it out until I remembered that the second picture shows the two layers RST, with opposite fabrics touching in the corners. Now I remember what happens to the larger square.

But you need to read your directions again. You have a lot of sky. LOL
I think the small square is what makes the geese.

Thanks again, and thanks to all who responded with the Eleanor Burns method.

Last edited by maviskw; 09-27-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Wow! Thanks a million Judy. Before I found the directions, I had a time figuring it out until I remembered that the second picture shows the two layers RST, with opposite fabrics touching in the corners. Now I remember what happens to the larger square.

But you need to read your directions again. You have a lot of sky. LOL
I think the small square is what makes the geese.

Thanks again, and thanks to all who responded with the Eleanor Burns method.
Opps I did mess up the smaller of the two squares are the goose Guess I had sky on my mind. But I can laugh at myself. . Thanks for pointing that out.

Judy in Phx, AZ