Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a go-to pattern for gift? >

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 AM

Default Do you have a go-to pattern for gift?

My husband and I are invited to 3 upcoming weddings and are not particularly close to any of the couples. Do you have a go-to pattern that you would use for gifts? Would a home-made gift seem cheap to a young couple? My son just got married a week ago, and I was stunned at the generous gifts they received.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:24 AM

Any ideas for something personalized?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 AM

No help with your question - just wanted to say I love your avatar!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
No help with your question - just wanted to say I love your avatar!
Thank you! It's my life verse.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

It's really hard to say. If you don't know the couple, you don't know their style. If they don't like or have an appreciation for hand crafted items, they won't understand the value (a Walmart quilt is $35). It doesn't mean that they are bad people, they just have different tastes. Then there's the home dec aspect. Where will they use it? If it's a bed quilt, would they have to repaint to use it? If it's a throw, will it go with their couch? The only type of quilt I'd give to someone I didn't know well would be a picnic quilt (along with a picnic basket, cute gift). Make sure the card or quilt label is clear that you hand made it for them.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I really wouldn't make a quilt or something hand made unless you are pretty sure it will be appreciated. You will put a lot of work and expense into it, and there could be the possibility it will be stored, given away, not loved or even liked the way you hoped. If you think it will be well received, maybe you could get a hint of their preferences from what they put on their registries. Hard decision. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 AM

My oldest son and his wife have a great many friends and we have met a lot of them at various parties. When the friends or their children have gotten married, my husband and I are not invited. That's fine. I still want to do something nice for certain couples. I have made a set of 4 place mats using fat quarters. I don't always know their colors but I figure they can still use them. I would look for a pattern for a table runner and matching place mats. And if you have a serger to make rolled hem napkins, that would be super.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 AM

I definitely would not make a quilt for a couple that I did not know well -too expensive, too time consuming and too much chance of it not being appreciated. Our gift choice for weddings like this is $ or a gift card to Canadian Tire (they have everything!). The $ gift means less stress for you, more time to quilt your things and no hurt feelings. I've never heard a couple yet complain about cash. For one couple I knew a little better, I bought oven mitts, made a barbecue apron and tucked the cash in the pocket!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:34 AM

Are the weddings coming up soon? Perhaps you can make them a nice holiday-themed table runner and placemats? I have found that many of the younger generation (like my stepchildren and their spouses) do not appreciate the time and effort it takes to make a quilt. I made baby quilts for all their children (five total) when they were born. My husband told his kids how long it took me to make each quilt, and their response was "It was would been easier to buy one!" No more quilts for them!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 AM

Love the idea of a picnic quilt and a picnic basket. You could add napkins to the basket along with nice picnic ware for two