Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will you never do again in your sewing/quilting room? >

What will you never do again in your sewing/quilting room?

What will you never do again in your sewing/quilting room?

Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
How funny! I did all the bill paying for the first 25 years, then told my husband it was time for a trade - he got the checkbook and I got the remote. He took the checkbook and actually did a good job with it, but I still didn't get the remote. In a few more years it will be 50, and then it's my turn to take back the accounting. At least very little of it is done with the checkbook anymore.
I paid all the bills and balanced the checkbook for 45 years. I also paid all my mom's bills and balanced her checkbook for over 10 years after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's until she passed. Before I retired, I was in charge of deposits and bookkeeping for all the organizations at a large high school as part of my job. When DH retired a little over 3 years ago, I said, "I'm sick of bookkeeping. I'm retiring from taking are of all the bills and the checkbook. It is your turn." What a relief! I still take care of my personal checking account---Yes we each have a checking account. It doesn't work well with 2 people using debit cards on one accout. lol
Old 10-03-2013, 05:39 AM

What will I never do in my sewing room again? Let my husband in! We recently had electricians in for repairs, and I asked him to give me better lighting. My husband came in to see the work and was amazed! He had no idea of the size of my stash. He teases me about it all the time now.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by TrueColors View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'll actually sew in there....haha. I think I spend more time and money shopping & planning my projects than actually working on them. And now, I've discovered this board, and am spending hours reading and replying instead of doing something.
Boy, did you ever hit the nail on the head!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 AM

I with you there cherrio. I do not talk a lot, but in here all the time reading saving coming up with new thing to do. This is the best web page I go to.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

What I will never do again is blindly reach for the iron. I did that, like I always do, and knocked it off the ironing board and it quit working. It was a very expensive iron ($149). Now I look at everything I'm reaching for. Too expensive of a lesson.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 AM

I will never try and work while my toddler is awake. Lol. I spent the whole time watching Aladdin with her instead of sewing. Once I get my basement apartment back df will have one room as a man cave, one will be a play room for miss monster and the giant living room will be my sewing room. And all those rooms link to the outside patio and front yard so bonus I can sew miss monster can play without me hovering. But this won't happen till my sibling moves out. Darn those rough times but I'm glad we could help him. Temporarily.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM

I will never let dh put a pen with 12 baby chicks and a heat lamp in there. By the time they were old enough to be put in a coop, there was a fine powdery substance over everything in the whole room.

I will never again accept my DHs sister's offer to 'organize' my sewing room. All the attachments for various machines were piled together in a drawer. The fabric I had halfway sorted was once more unsorted. I could have cried, thank heaven I stopped her halfway through. It was a thoughtful offer but I should have remembered that she's not a quilter.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM

I don't take uncovered cups of tea into the sewing room anymore either.
I will always make sure that the thread from the cone thread stand is where it belongs. It got all wrapped around the big wheel that guides the belt; it took forever to get it all out. Treadles don't work very well all wrapped up in thread.

Sharon
Old 10-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by nakotha View Post
Oh my, today I entered my sewing room with a full cup of coffee. In there my floor is my design wall, hehe. And yes, for my current quilt top I did put the finished blocks on the floor. U know what happened? I think so! I stumbled over the door sill, and the coffee met every single block! So what did I learned? Never do tiny steps while enter my sewing room!

Another thing I learned is: Never walk barefoot in a sewing room if there is a chance you can hit a pin with your blank feet.

Is there anything you learned? Anything you will never do again?
SO lucky it didn't land all over your bright, shiny new (or new to you) electronic sewing/quilting/embroidery machine(s)!!!

[/QUOTE=TrueColors];Sometimes I wonder if I'll actually sew in there....haha. I think I spend more time and money shopping & planning my projects than actually working on them. And now, I've discovered this board, and am spending hours reading and replying instead of doing something.[/QUOTE]
Me too!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM

I have learned dont ever and I mean ever let your kids or hubby use your sewing area unless supervised. To make a long story short. My good scissors ended up being used on ?, you guessed it, PAPER ($&#&!)#(%^ ^&%*&). I am sure glad that they werent the expensive ones like Ghinger. Sewing area is now off limits unless I am standing there watching all you tread on my domain. LOL