Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-05-2013, 01:25 PM

I have several, in fact just about every one pictured in this thread, and my favorite go-to rotary cutter is the one you purchased. I've had good luck with Harbor Freight blades but my best quilting buddy tried them and they didn't work for her at all. So....there's no right or wrong, it's whatever works for you, and I agree that you have to get off that ironing board, it's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
My favorite is a Martinelli. I recently broke the spring that controls the guard on mine. I contacted the company and they sent me 2 replacement springs free of charge.
The spring on mine broke also after less than a year of use. They replaced mine as well for no charge. I love that I can used my 45 mm one for long periods and my hand doesn't hurt. Also your cutting surface (under you mat) should be hard and stable (not an ironing board).
Old 10-05-2013, 04:56 PM

I use the Martille cutter (left handed) and just love it, I found another one at a thrift shop for $2 and the check out lady ask me what it was. I think as others have said, it is the surface that is the problem. I hope you can get a new place to cut.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
My favorite is a Martinelli. I recently broke the spring that controls the guard on mine. I contacted the company and they sent me 2 replacement springs free of charge.
My fav also............
Old 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Ok several years ago I purchased a rotary cutter. I was not too impressed with it and I ended up going back to scissors. After watching videos I thought that I would try to buy another one.

I found this one at Amazon and bought it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not saying that its a bad tool, but I am not too impressed either. Did I pick a bad rotary cutter?

What rotary cutter do you guys use?
That's exactly the one I have and love it! I have an Olfa also, but always gravitate to my Fiskars!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
The 45 mm Olfa deluxe is my favourite as well. I have other Olfa cutters but this one is awesome. Not as crazy about my Friskar cutter. Just buy good quality blades. I tried the cheap harbor freight blades and they are cheap and dull! Their better for paper use. I couldn't cut without my rotary cutter!!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:06 AM

I've tried all kinds and always go back to Fiskars. I've been using them ever since they first started making rotary cutters.