Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM

I have an ergonomic Olfa. My wrist and I both love it. I had a straight-line (or whatever it's called) Olfa and my wrist was very unhappy with it after an extended cutting period. I love the automatic blade-covering feature, too.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to stop working on my ironing board.... I will find something better. I am also going to check out the other cutters that were mentioned. Cutting through 8 layers of fabric would be awesome!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:11 AM

I have that exact one and like it BUT I like my other one that you just squeeze the handle & cut and when you let go the blade retracts. The most important thing about rotary cutters IMHO is a sharp blade. So far whether or not it's an ergonomic handle hasn't made any difference to me.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Default r. cutter

My fav is my Gingher--a bit more expensive but used a 50% coupon at Joanns. Love it!!

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Ok several years ago I purchased a rotary cutter. I was not too impressed with it and I ended up going back to scissors. After watching videos I thought that I would try to buy another one.

I found this one at Amazon and bought it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not saying that its a bad tool, but I am not too impressed either. Did I pick a bad rotary cutter?

What rotary cutter do you guys use?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM

Don't like that type at all, I own it but don't ever use it, my sister loves it though. It just depends on personal preference.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I have that particular rotary cutter and I have to admit that I do not use it frequently. I tend to use the Olfa rotary cutter more often. I will say that I tend to use my blades too long, which means that I am putting more pressure on my wrist, and I do suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. I recently changed the blade and was amazed at the difference, so I need to pay more attention and change my blades more frequently.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM

I like the truecut rotary cutter, I have the 45mm and the 60mm, I also bought the sharpener and sharpen my blade after each project, and they cut 8 layers like butter.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Ok several years ago I purchased a rotary cutter. I was not too impressed with it and I ended up going back to scissors. After watching videos I thought that I would try to buy another one.

I found this one at Amazon and bought it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not saying that its a bad tool, but I am not too impressed either. Did I pick a bad rotary cutter?

What rotary cutter do you guys use?
That is the one that I use most often. I do have one that when you let go the blade is covered. I like them both but my favorite is the Fiscars.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:59 AM

I have that one and I think it is a bit flimsy. I like Olfa better.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I use the Olfa 45 mm and about a year ago bought a $69 Gingher because my LQS owner raved about it. I don't like it. I like the blades by Gingher a lot, but not the cutter. I have a few different rotary cutters, but always come back to my Olfa 45 mm retractable.