Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie? >

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Old 10-07-2013, 04:27 PM

My DDIL is very smart (PHd) and likes to learn. I had the opportunity to give her her 1st sewing machine lesson. I picked an apron project that Jenny Doan did on her site. http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/apr...wels-part-1-2/

I purchased the tea towel and fabric I knew she would love (cats doing yoga) before she came. We had a great time and she uses her apron. Step by step, she learned how to cut, iron, and sew. It was simple and only took a few hours. She asked questions and I answered, but I didnt try to teach her too much at once. My goal was a successful project and that was accomplished.

I plan another project when she comes for a week again during the holidays.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
I love this!!!

Oh, how true! I was asked this week if I would want to place some quilted items in a display booth a friend has with antiques and stuff. I told her, I can't, there is no way I could make my money back. It's too expensive. She was surprised.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:03 AM

You could always put a price on a quilt that would make you a little money and see if someone buys it, I am always amazed at how much money people are willing to spend on things. But I would put the quilt in a place where it cannot be touched and ruined.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Accuracy with the 1/4" seam and accuracy in cutting. We all know how being off a tiny bit can throw off the whole project. Accruacy is probably the hardest thing to master. I teach young people how to quilt and they struggle with accuracy.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 PM

I agree with the accuracy. Do it until it is right. Buy extra fabric so you can cut out some new pieces if you need to, because if it has been ripped out more than twice, your block will be distorted. You WILL have blocks where this happens. Don't think (like I did) that it will magically come together, because it won't. To compound that, my first quilt had sashing and the fabric I chose had virtually no give. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth the night before my class when we were supposed to have our top finished.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Fabric ... grain. LOF, WOF and bias. Show her and have her stretch some scrap pieces and tell you which is which. Tell her where we prefer to use LOF, where LOF or WOF doesn't matter, and how to handle pieces where using the bias is unavoidable. If you have them, and are using them ... the difference between certain fabrics (printed quilting cotton, solids, batiks, home spuns, flannels ... etc).,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IMO, all she needs to know now is to use fabrics that are similar--------------------the rest of the fabric lesson can wait.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:06 PM

I'm going to be a bit of a hiney hole here-------------------------Let her sew, the best she can. Let her put pieces together, the best she can, Let her arrive at something tangible ASAP. I'd be afraid of her running for the hills if you go for much quality.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Tell her that accurate cutting and sewing is very important. Pressing also.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I always tell them its a very expensive hobby.

BUT, it doesn't have to be. People give me fabric. I hit rummage sales and thrift stores. I made a huge haul at a recent quilt show, way over 50 yards for $30. Just look around and use what you can find,,,,,,,,,,including sheets for backing and blankets for batting.

I've made about 20 personal sized rag quilts this year, and I've spent very little for most of them.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 AM

I learned piecing on a Path Speth "Nickel Quilt" project. I knew how to sew ....but quilting, piecing and the equipment needed to quolt were knew to me. A few lessons from my LQS got me going. Great tips on this thread!!

Sandy