Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Show Question >

Craft Show Question

Craft Show Question

Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM

I've been doing craft shows for a couple of years and also find the space limited. Try putting some displays behind your table up high so the people can see them. If you have the space, move your table to the side so people can get to the display in the back. Its interesting to watch where people look when they pass a booth. Up or down?! I always keep my eye open at rummage sales for display racks. Use some height on your table to break up the space.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:19 AM

As for items you can make ... how about those cute fabric boxes that folks here on QB have been making lately. They're smallish and stackable so you can display quite a few at the same time.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 PM

makeshift shelves, wood framework covered with chicken wire to hang items with drapery hooks...I used to use a lot of peach crates..baskets work well..the more you can maximize your space the better..Remember the impulse buys need to be close to the customer
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 AM

I love the ideas here and wanted to add the casserole covers/holders to your list of items to make. Mug rugs, I pod/pad cases ( envelopes), credit card wallets and definitely the pot holders.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:06 AM

I planned a booth at a craft show. Instead of selling gifty things, we sold gift wrapping things. Not at all expensive wrappings and present decorations but the kind of things that everyone would like to have for "ooh, isn't that pretty" present presentations. And miles and miles of assorted bows. Primarily red velvet.

We dressed "Christmas" and we talked to the people who stopped at the booth and we showed them things. And we smiled and laughed and wished them a Merry Christmas. Phoo on politically correct.

Note: we made as much as everyone else at the fair combined.

Pat
Old 10-09-2013, 04:33 AM

I did a craft sale and had some really great pot holders. I sold not a one. Pot holders are work intensive so I would think long and hard about making and selling them. Table runners and place mats are very popular. You could do one side in fall colors and the other in Christmas colors. They will sell. Keep prices reasonable. Good luck. I know how much work craft sales are. Oh! One more point to think about. People have a hard time imagining how things look or are used. For instance - if you make wine bottle cozies - put an empty bottle in one to show how great they look; if you make cloth boxes - show one with something in it i.e. napkins etc.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:15 AM

How about the "ten minute runner" in Christmas fabric? just google the ten minute runner and you can learn how to do it in ten minutes!

Last edited by DonnaPBradshaw; 10-09-2013 at 05:16 AM. Reason: add mor information
Old 10-09-2013, 06:36 AM

Since your space is limited what about placing some items in the display and having more hidden under the table to refill as needed.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM

Pocket tissue pack covers - you can make lots of them with small pieces (even leftovers) of different fabrics and pile them all in one basket, saving table space.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Given the limited space, go up with vertical shelves, bookshelves or whatever you can fit on your space. If you have a wall behind you, perhaps you could display your items on the wall, always ask first if that is allowed, as a couple craft fairs I've attended do not want you to put anything on the walls, or on the drape in front of the table. You could make tote bags, aprons, pot holders (with Insul-Brite and maybe Teflon (silver) fabric for backing), placemats with napkins, table runners, small baby quilts, anything that would make good Christmas gifts. I've always found that people don't necessarily want to spend a lot of money, but the reverse is also true. These comments may be confusing, however, there is no crystal ball that tells you what will and what won't sell, however, practical items usually do sell well in my experience. Also, be sure that your items are well constructed, no threads, open seams, etc., it shows that you are a craftsman and take pride in your work.