Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made a big mistake - what to do? >

Made a big mistake - what to do?

Made a big mistake - what to do?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Made a big mistake - what to do?

I am making a quilt for granddaughter for Christmas. Made a huge mistake and squared off blocks to 10". Should have been 10 1/2" and now have cut off all the points. It is a tulip pattern with 4 points in each block. (Squares sewed to corners of rectangles) I don't think I will be able to make another quilt in time - not sure what to do. I know non-quilters will not notice, but anyone who has ever quilted will see mistake right away. Any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain! Technically tulip petals really don't come to points but have slightly flat tops on the petals. A picture might help with suggestions if you can post one.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board.

Do you really think your DGD will care? Do you think she will be inviting in the quilt police to point out your missing points?? Continue to make the quilt with the love you intended and gift it. If you quilt it in such a way I bet you maybe even other quilters won't know it is not intentional. If other quilters do see it and are tactless enough to mention it tell them you made a mistake, took creative license or ignore the comment. I am sure it will be received with squeals of delight from you DGD, especially if you did it in her favortie colors.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 AM

I'd say if they are all the same, it would look planned. No one will think a thing of it. It can't be a mistake if all the blocks have flat petals. Even the quilt police will say, "I've never seen that pattern before!"
Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm with everyone else. Finish it up and gift it to her. She will love points or no points. You learned a lesson so all is not lost.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

check out this image - no points!
http://good-wallpapers.com/nature/5711
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I'd say if they are all the same, it would look planned. No one will think a thing of it. It can't be a mistake if all the blocks have flat petals. Even the quilt police will say, "I've never seen that pattern before!"
I agree... make them look all the same and nobody, not even the quilt police will find your error. We have all made a stupid mistake and we won't tell anybody !! She will love it because you made this especially for her !!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM

Thank you all so much. I really do feel better now. I know Katie will love it - just was worried about her mom and other grandmom - but will just either say "I goofed" -- or will say I wanted it that way because tulips don't have points. I am not sure how to post picture yet - will see if I can figure out by the time the quilt is done. Again - thank you all!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM

I agree. Make them all the same and no one will notice. Your DGD will love it.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM

Great advice from all. I've been in this situation a few times also. We feel worse about it than the person who receives the quilt. Please don't give it another thought and keep picturing your DGD when she opens it up for the first time.
She'll love it.