Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Encouragement >

Encouragement

Encouragement

Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM

Default Encouragement

Hi,
I'll start out and say I'm not a quilter, nor do I intend to be one. I'm posting for help for my wife. She recently started quilting with a friend and has become addicted. She has been using her friend's machine (a very VERY nice one from what I hear) and is now discouraged from starting to quilt on her own. We don't have the finances to acquire a machine of the caliber that she has been using (several thousand dollars), and she is now saying that she doesn't want to do it at all since we can't afford the machine her friend has at home.

My question is: how can I encourage her? I want her to continue since it makes her happy, but she seems convinced that she can't sew without a high end machine. I know nothing about sewing machines, but I do know that there has to be some sort of machine that can do the basics (which is her skill level at the moment). There's surely some sort of machine that can support her new interest and carry her through until we CAN afford a nice machine.

I would really appreciate some advice on this. I want her to continue quilting but I need advice on how to keep her going until we can afford something really nice. Is there something she could start on and step up to another machine later? I'm out of my depth here.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM

I am a beginner quilter and have dreams of the uber expensive machines one day.

There are many on here that use a basic domestic machine. I have a basic janome magnolia 7318 that works great for quilting. Sometimes we have to start small to work up to the big things.

I hope she doesn't give up. Just because a machine doesn't cost a gojillion dollars doesn't mean it won't do what she wants it to do.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Try and find out what features it is that the friend's machine has that she feels are essential. It may be that the features she likes are available on a machine with a smaller price tag. Also, many dealers have good used machines that may fit the bill for a much lesser cost. It's important to be sure you are dealing with a dealer that has a good reputation, perhaps if you post your region, board members from that area could chime in with some helpful dealers. Good luck, it's nice to see a spouse being supportive! (Mine is too)
Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Talk to a dealer. You may be able to get a good refurbished machine with lots of the bells and whistles your wife would enjoy. With quilting, the main stitch you use is a straight stitch and a 1/4 inch seam so a 1/4 inch foot really makes it easier. Ask her friend what features she likes and that will help with your choice.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 PM
DJ

There's some good advice here. Just want to thank you for being such a supporter of your wife's interests! I hope you can find a machine to please her within your budget. I think you can.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM

You don't need a machine with all the bells and whistles to quilt. Yes, the bells and whistles are nice. I have a simple Kenmore $200 at Sears, and it gets the job done. I will probably never have the machine of my dreams. But, that's OK. I'm still going to quilt.

I guess maybe you need to sit down with your wife and discuss options and maybe saving for the machine she'd really like to have. And in the meantime, get lots of practice in on a basic machine. It's awful hard to settle when you've test driven the cadalac. But hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

Good luck. I hope you get lots of helpful hints!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:57 PM

try kensquilting, or allbrands. they have very good machines at good prices. my machine is not fancy, it is a brother. it has a lot of stitches, but i only use about 3 or 4. i would like a fancy machine but its not necessary and i sure can't afford it. brothers are a good machine and are inexpensive. their customer service and warrenty work is very good.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I started with a little $200 Singer and worked my way up. Quilting can be an expensive hobby.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

If you look thru the posts on this board, many members piece with very 'simple' machines. Lots use older singer/singer clones from the 40's 50's & 60's. These machines basically sew a nice seam and go backward. That's pretty much it. I agree with the other posters, ask what feature(s) this machine has that she would need to continue her hobby.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 PM

My machine is a $200 Singer from Wal-Mart. I have made many quilts. Do I also want an expensive fancy sewing machine. Of course I do. I can not afford one. My simple one does the job just fine.