Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-15-2013, 02:37 PM

Lyn, please do join in. Your Rosie quilt was beautiful, you have such an eye for color. These blocks are a lot of fun. I started some a few months back and this group will keep me motivated to finish them (altho I still haven't quite finished Rosie LOL).
Old 12-15-2013, 04:05 PM

I ordered some very light batik fabric for the background and can't 'begin until it arrives. I considered doing a solid black but I changed my mind. I can't 'wait to begin!!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM

Now I am thinking of maybe really mixing up my fabrics like in a Crazy Quilt!! I have lots of brocades, satin fabrics, light weight velvets etc left over from the CQ I made many years ago. So I am still trying to decide which fabrics I will use. They may really look nice with batiks too! Decisions...decisions.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Maybe I missed something somewhere but does anyone know how much fabric is required for the background? All I saw was the size of the squares for the background not the yardage required for the whole quilt. I don't want to buy too much but then I don't want to have to match it later.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

MaggieLou--it was recommended that you get 7 yards for background for the 12" blocks...this was by someone here on the board who made the quilt this past year.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Thanks, carriem. I saw that but that seems like a lot for just the background. I think that included the backing too. I can't see how 3" and 4" squares could possibly take 7 yards. Seems to me it would be more like 2 yards.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM

My book came and I couldn't wait to try my first block with the fabrics I selected. Love my selection of teals and grays but I plan to make another test sample using a dark burgundy to pop the center of the Alabama star. This is where I go nuts going for the perfect combination of fabrics and color.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by KC21 View Post
My book came and I couldn't wait to try my first block with the fabrics I selected. Love my selection of teals and grays but I plan to make another test sample using a dark burgundy to pop the center of the Alabama star. This is where I go nuts going for the perfect combination of fabrics and color.
I am an outside the box girl, I put fabrics together that people say would never work and when it is done they are surprised how it turned out. My goal is if I like it it will work for me. I break all the rules when it comes to the color wheel and putting colors together. This is a blank slate and anything is possible. I think the only thing that will be consistant in mine is the background fabric. The rest will probably be scrappy done in batiks.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi

Sample block completed and went together well and it looks great . I have brought most of my fabric (2hrs in the fabric shop last weekend) I have now looked on the couple of different on line shops to match other fabric to match in, now it should not take me 2hrs this weekend in the fabric shop. I wished I had a little more time to get my fabric from US (so much cheaper than here in Australia) any way now to get all the patterns traced and cut out,and my fabric cut in the next 2 week.

One question what do batting do you use for a plate mat (for putting hot dishes on, on your table)

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Hi Lyn, I was just looking at Australian fabrics for the quilt and batiks. Decided against that because I like all my quilts to be wash and wear and don't want any colors running.
Thought about pokey dots. I'll probably just shop my stash as always, but it is fun looking. a lot of colors in my stash are really getting low. good, I'd like to see it all used up. So am just thinking!

I'd probably use warm and natural batting, but if you think they will be used on really good furniture I might pick up some cheap hot trivets and cover them with little fabric quilts You could even ease the fabric around the back and add elastic so they can be pulled off and washed?