Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW >

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 AM

paperpieceme--You are never behind here!!! This is just a place to encourage you to keep on moving forward. Some times you won't get a block done in a week and others you might have more time and find you can finish two. There are several who started last year and are continuing this year in hopes of finishing. I personally do not pre-wash. I use Shout Color Catchers when I wash my finished quilts.

I printed the first 4 stars (for Jan) so I can have the paper pieces cut ahead of time. I also cut out my background fabric squares (which will become HSTs) since I am using the same background through out.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:17 AM

I am almost done with the second block "Alaska". I lived there for 14 years and it is a beautiful State. I chose a navy blue batik for the background to represent the night sky. I chose yellow because it is called The Land Of The Midnight Sun and I chose green batik because of all the gorgeous huge mountains that could be seen there. I will post a picture when I am done joining the top halves together.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Love hearing everyone's progress. All of my blocks are printed out for paper piecing, all 50 of them. Never have pre-washed my fabric and probably will not this time. I am thinking of Kona Snow for the background; its not white white, and should fit right into all the colors that I will be using. Still re-reading the book to see why she choose the colors that she did; mainly, I guess, because they appealed to her.

We lived in Alaska back in 1968-69 when DH was stationed there in the AF. Oldest daughter was born there in the military hospital in Anchorage. Enjoyed fishing, hiking and boating there and also hunting. Met a lot of nice people there; just recently, the retired AF guys found out where we live and now correspond via facebook.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:28 PM

I think I got the book, and never opened it. is there a CD in it? or do we purchase the software separately? YESSSSS, I'm upstairs and my sewing stuff is in the basement.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
I think I got the book, and never opened it. is there a CD in it? or do we purchase the software separately? YESSSSS, I'm upstairs and my sewing stuff is in the basement.
Mine came with a CD but it was only Carol's instructions on how to paperpiece, not the templates for printing.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:57 PM

darn, should have brought the CD up. yes, went down and looked, and found the CD in the back. will go back down and get it, and look at it. wow, getting my exercise tonite, up and down the stairs. guess, that's why I swipe the lap top sometimes to take downstairs with me.!!!!
well, that I crappy. where do we get the PP patterns?
looks like we can copy the pattens right out of the book. they measue 6", and that is a 1/4 block.

Last edited by sewNso; 12-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Fountain Factory has it on sale until the 1st, I think. It downloads and prints them in the size that you want to use. I downloaded the program, and then spent yesterday printing all 50 of them and the patterns for each one and stacked them in order ready to use. Some have already made the first two; we make them on our time, then post as the leader or mentor calls for them. (Carrie)...we do not post until its the time she calls for them.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Anael, there was over 141 blocks in my king sized FWSQ with each being 6.5 inches. I am thinking DJ and 50 stars are a big undertaking...will try and see what happens....as there is Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt Celtic Sunrise, too. Finishing the MB for PC and doing the SYE with the group. Somewhere in all that I want to finish Irish Mist.
my 2nd DJ is in the large hand quilting frame. and ALL my FWQB' are done. it's do-able. one block at a time. sooo, I am looking for another quilt to do a few at a time.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:34 PM

Hello All!

We are getting close to the beginning of the new year. With that we will start posting our blocks. Let's plan to post each new block starting on the Monday of each week (or any day following when you get it finished).

So our goal will be to have Alabama ready by Monday, January 6th; Alaska, January 13th; etc.

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:49 AM

I was wondering when we were going to post. Thanks carriem for keeping us on track. I have decided this one will go to a long armer. Afterall, it will take a year to complete.