Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed >

Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed

Guild Christmas Party Food Help Needed

Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM

try this...... 2 cans shoepeg corn drained, cherry tomatoes cut in half, cucumber slices cut in quarters and bottled ranch dressing. I thought YUCK but decided to try it and it was GREAT. oh yes....salt & pepper to taste. Can't get much simpler and will be a hit.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM

what about a relish tray or various cheese and sausage platter with different kinds of crackers.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM

At my Guild, Heart of Georgia Quilt Guild, we have a meal in December and May. I have become famous for my cheese straws! So I bring them every time. My friends have mandated that I do!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM

The watermelon sounds delicious and I have two baby watermelons sitting right here.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Buy 3or 4 different kinds of sausage in casings some may need to be cooked once cooked slice up into rings and add finely chopped green onions chopped dill pickles and some cucumber.Toss with your favorite Italian dressing or make a garlic lemon Parmesan cheese one This holds well at room temp. Green or black olives can also be used. THe sausage can be turkey or chicken.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 AM

How about Spinach tortilla bites, they are easy to make and very good.
Crunchy chicken Salad- a meal in itself.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Our guild is having a pot luck dinner with our party. I am out of ideas for a dish to bring. The hot stuff is usually cold by the time everyone gets through the line. They have way toooooooooooooo many deserts.

I am looking for a side dish that does not have to be kept hot. Hoping to avoid the obvious potato and macaroni salads.
ok I'll give you my recipe that is great hot or cold and you can make it ahead of time because it can last about a week in the fridge.

Barley Salad
I use whole barley not the pearl or polished barley.

Cook 2 cups of barley according to package instructions.
While it is cooking, I process 1 carrot, 1 onion, 1 stalk of celery, a small hand full each of Broccoli and cauliflower ( you can save the tops for using with dip and only process the stems if you want)
Then I de-seed and hand cut up some of the following: zucchini squash, cucumber, yellow squash or any other vegetable you like, just be sure to de-seeded them. The seeds are what usually cause the veg's to go bad faster.

Once the barley is done, I mix all the vegetables in with the barley add salt and pepper to taste and a little bit of lemon or lime juice and that's it.

Do not add any dressing other then the lemon or lime juice. The lemon or lime juice helps the vegetables stay fresh longer.

It can be eaten just like it is or if someone likes a little vinaigrette or other type of dressing on it they can add it themselves.

I love this stuff anytime of the day or night and it's healthy! Not like most of the junk food you find at get togethers.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Broccoli or Cauliflower salad? Pretzel Salad? Snickers Salad? (This was a big hit at our guild Christmas party!) Last year one of the ladies brought Grape Salad and that was also a big hit!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

we call it cranberry relish
2 bag fresh cranberries, washed and I put a handful at a time in the blender til ground to sz o relish. 2 cans of crushed pineapple 1 1/4 cup of sugar n 2/3 cp chopped walnuts. stir all in large bowl 2 days ahead of your party. refrigerate and stir daily delish
Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Oh my gosh, this is a desert, but, my friend made pumpkin dip for our after church get together, whoa, it is wonderful, we had ginger snaps with it....really easy to make and soooooo good.