Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 10-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

I have to get a petting zoo together... grrr... so... I put the antique machines on hold for a little while. grr...
Then DD called just as I was leaving work and wanted to know if Wilbur and Miss L could come over and work on sewing machines. HIDE THE GOOD STUFF....... OK. So I got out a White Rotary with the embossed body. It is pretty much a rust bucket but we are up for a challenge... So the two of them got out the tool box and started in cleaning. And I have to admit they know exactly what to do with lint. First off they fight over who gets to use what brush. There are a good dozen but they want the same old fat brush. So Wilbur and I searched the net for elephants with clothes on with Walter for a few minutes LOL... After Walter went to his speech therapy we got back in there with that White. We dropped a little oil on things. Wilbur says that machine was thirsty. I guess you could say it was thristy - bone dry at the least. So Wilbur started turning the wheel. NOT moving. We oiled and oiled and looked to see what might have a little movement. Well I turned my back for a second and heard a sound of breaking metal. Then I heard, "Grandma! It turns!" Well if the non moving bobbin shuttle was what was stuck - it is why it moves but it is in broken pieces now... I think Wilbur created yard art............ parts machine? I'm over it...
Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

breath in .... breath out..... grin (it helps)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM

Breaking things is part of the learning process. I've learned a lot over the years....
Things like that happen. I think it's great you have those kids out there helping you. They're learning a lot more than just how to fix sewing machines.
I'm actually impressed that Wilbur managed to break it. That takes more than just a little bit of effort. Too bad it was an embossed White though. I like the looks of those machines and the fact there's no decals to wear out on them.
Rodney
Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

I think it is possible that piece was so rusted out that it was going to break no matter who got their mitts on it. But he just doesn't know when to stop. And yes he is strong for a 5 year old. I kept telling him we would let time out help that bad boy turn another day. I'm not sure he understands that he broke it. But when we don't do any more on it I guess he will get the picture. Maybe at some point he will understand that you have to rock them gently when they are stuck. In this ones case it was the bobbin area really rusted out. Little parts went flying... Usually there is enough dried up oil to kind of protect and once the oil gets a touch of oil it frees things up a bit. This one the rust held the parts enough to break something else. Looking at it now there is so much rust I'm not sure it was going to work anyway. I have 3 other old White Rotary machines but none for parts... I love the way the White machines move - they seem better made than the Singers for some reason.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 AM

From what I've seen the White Rotaries are a very good design, very sturdy anyway. I think they're at least on a par with Singer.
Rodney
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
From what I've seen the White Rotaries are a very good design, very sturdy anyway. I think they're at least on a par with Singer.
Rodney
They are very undervalued for sure
Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Today I began disassembly of the rusty Singer 115 that I picked up recently. It’s been soaking with a sewing machine oil drench for 10 days, having received a second liberal dose of oil on the 5th day. The covers all came off without any struggle, and I applied more oil inside onto the things that I had missed when shooting through the holes from the outside. The machine is still locked up and I can’t get even a wiggle out of it.

I usually let them soak longer before trying to remove any fasteners, and certainly before I go in as deep as I have on this one, but things just kept coming loose without a fight. The needle bar is not in the correct position to remove the linkage from it, so that may cause me a problem. I plan on disconnecting the upper shaft from the lower shaft the next time that I fiddle with it, and I might get the upper shaft to move enough to align the linkage to the hole for my screwdriver to access it. It only needs a little bit of movement. It’s almost lined up.

The hook assembly, on the other hand, is in the worst condition of anything. I think I’ll have to remove the assembly in one piece from the lower shaft. I can get to one set screw the way it sets, and can access the second one by removing the feed bar if I have to. I think the bobbin case will need a soak in vinegar and salt to get it apart from the hook. I could stand to lose the bobbin case, but I really want to try to save the hook assembly.

I haven’t broke out the penetrating oil, the heat, or the physical force yet, so this one is coming apart easier than I had anticipated. I’m going to let it soak with oil for a while again before attacking it any further.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine572_02.jpg   machine572_03.jpg   machine572_04.jpg  
Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

woof! That looks like work right there....
Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I'll send Wilbur over if you need some brute force...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM

You're a brave man CD.

FREE Quilting Newsletter