Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what??? >

Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what???

Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what???

Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM

I have the HDX -- Amazon has free movies and free series as well as free books. DH has his own and is also buying music because the sound is great. I transferred pdf's to my HDX by connecting the USB to my laptop and just copied over the files without having to download any extra software (I used the same usb that attaches to the charger and it worked fine). Amazon also has great games - don't know if the HD and HDX can play the same ones but Candy Crush is positively addictive
Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Amazon has a section of free books for download. Look at quilting at patchwork books in amazon and someday be downloaded and are cheaper than a book.
Best of all search free quilt patterns and find those which will download as a pdf and you stock up on patterns as well. I did accuracy quilting fro. Craftsy and downloaded to my kindle. You an also print.

ENJOY FANTASTIC
Old 12-27-2013, 05:32 AM

Have an older kindle....sits on my nightstand....prefer holding a book than reading on a screen. But that is just me! I have an iPad, from where I am now doing this......had to have it recently replaced 19 days over 1 yr warranty...another story! So am very Leary of all things electronic right now........except of course my sewing machine!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 AM

Thank you all for your help!!!
I was not sure about getting quilting books---but knowing that I can Print from the Kindle helps!!! Thank you for that Dottymo!!
Bellaboo, thank you for http://www.pixelofink.com/ !!! what a fantastic find!!!
Thank you all again!!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:41 AM

I've had one for over 2 years now, and I mainly read every day and watch Netflix or You Tube on it. It's much easier to surf the net via PC or laptop (I think). Also have a few games on it that I got for free. Oh, and if you belong to a library, you can borrow e-books for free for the same time your library lends regular books and if not done, renew.

Printing from a Kindle? Never tried that. I wonder how that works?

Love my Kindle!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 AM

Go to Amazon and search for free Kindle books. I have over 500 loaded on to my Cloud on Amazon. There are also multiple digests sent out daily with free and reduced price books listed. Among the ones I receive and like are: Pixel of Ink, Inspired Reads, Book Bub, EBOOK lovers, ONEHUNDREDFREEBOOKS, etc.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Also check out www.dailycheapreads.com. Nice website. They generally only post "clean" books whereas on other sites, you'll get a...hmmm... interesting selection of titles. Ask me how I know.

I have a ton of games and apps on my Kindle fire, and also a million books, of course. I don't use mine for e-mail or Facebook, I only use my laptop for those.

I'm also a member of Amazon Prime, so I can hook up my Kindle Fire to my TV (it has to be a newer television with an HDMI connection) and watch tons of TV shows and movies. I also stream my Craftsy classes to the Kindle and in turn onto the television. I love watching them on the bigger screen.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:14 AM

www.pixelofink.com is the bomb. I download at least 1 free book a day. Love, love, love that site. I now have about 340 free books on my old kindle. And they transfer over to my newer Fire too. But I still hold my older version closer, it turns text to voice. The new version doesn't do that. I like being read to. Call me spoiled!!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 AM

I use my I pad to read the news, NBC, CBS,CNN all have free sites as well as local papers.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Congratulations! I had a nook, but replaced it with my iPad. LOVE it for reading! I'm a voracious reader and love ebooks. If you enjoy reading, check out your library! Most, if not all libraries now have an electronic catalog and offer ebooks, as well as audiobooks for free.

Enjoy it!