Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what??? >

Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what???

Received a Kindle Fire HD...now what???

Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Be sure to check out Book Bub for great lists of free books to download. I get a free book almost every day.
I've had my Kindle Fire for about 2 years now...I can't believe how much I use it!! I also signed up for BookBub and am amazed at the amount of FREE books I've accumulated!! I had a total knee replacement on December 12, so have been laid up...I've been reading about 2 books a day from my stash and still have a ton to go, besides getting more FREE books every day!!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
Has anyone discovered a good book on how to manage your kindle. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a kindle as soon as I can find a sale. I'm leaning toward the HDX because it's supposed to be really fast. Just not sure if I'll know what to do with it after I get it. Does Amazon still have a history of your books if you use the tablet. I'm wondering why you would move the ones you've read to cloud and I had no idea you should delete it from cloud if you want to save space. I'm totally confused and I haven't even bought one yet.
Amazon has quite a bit of info on their website on managing your Kindle. Also, you can google anything you would like to find out. I am sure there are books out there but there is quite a bit of free info available also.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I know how you feel. Last year I received a Kindle Fire for Mother's Day, and it was a life saver for me while I was in rehab recovering from spinal surgery. I used it to get into my e-mail account so that I could touch base with the outside world and play games to help keep my mind active. I downloaded books, games, etc. - I play freestyle solitaire every morning, then switch to one of many, many, many books that I have downloaded. I just got a very generous gift card to Amazon so I can download more books, etc. There are so many free books and I've been introduced to authors I might never have read. Enjoy it. My husband downloaded the instructions for me and printed them out on 8 1/2 x 11" so I could read them. I'm sure you will love it, once you get over the "technical jitters."
Old 12-28-2013, 11:50 AM

This is going to be a long post but lots of info for you:
Free Books
http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/ (I get this as a daily email with only the category of books I'm interested in)
http://www.ereaderiq.com/ (I only use this when I'm bored, it's a good site but I rely on others for daily use)
http://fire.kindlenationdaily.com/ (When you go to this site, sign up for BookGorilla to get emails about books in your email)
http://ereadernewstoday.com/ (I used to use this one daily but when the format changed, it wasn't as useful to me.)
http://bookbub.com/deals/ (I get this as a daily email)
http://www.dailycheapreads.com/ (just found this one)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ (If your looking for classics)

Free Apps
http://www.dailyfireapps.com/ (free apps sent to you daily)

you can download your music to your Kindle (if you use “cloud” to store/backup your music from your computer you can download it to your Kindle)
Pandora is available as a an app

useful apps:
Adobe Reader by Adobe Systems (for reading .pdf's - Don't really think you need it...but..)
Book Collections (Kindle Tablet Edition) Digital Media Revolutions (great for simple book organization)
Collections for Kindle Fire (7" Fire Version) (Kindle Tablet Edition) Gagler Enterprises, LLC (for a more intense organization experience)
Free Kindle Books and Tips Gagler Enterprises, LLC (great blog with good tips)
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks OverDrive, Inc. (allows you to search and download books from public library)
Pinterest Pinterest, Inc (if you have it on your computer, you should have it on your kindle – I think)
textPlus Free Texting for Kindle Fire/Fire HD & Android Phones, Tablets textPlus, Inc. (if you have access to Wi-Fi, this can be useful)

You can also use the Facebook app and any games you play on Facebook can be played from your Kindle.

Word of Caution: When you get free apps, try to take a quick look at the reviews. Sometimes, the reviews don't really matter, but sometimes the clue you in on whether this is a legit game (game, nothing else) or if it's a way to mine for your info (not cool). If you look at today's app offer from Amazon, you'll see what I mean. Looked like a cool game, but not with all the info they want.

Word of Caution: Don't “Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources” - This can be found at: Use gear in upper right corner, press “more”, then go to “Device” and read down.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:19 PM

One more thing, be sure to download the Free Kindle for PC App. It allows you to download the majority of your books onto your computer. You can even set it up so that you can sync between your Kindle and your PC, so you can jump from using one to the other and start right where you left off in the story. However, my favorite use for this, is that I can organize my library on the computer. If you read only one or two genres and don't have more than say 50-60 books it's not that important. I, however, read lots of different stuff and have downloaded books for my grandkids, as well. Not just fiction either. I have books on gardening, soapmaking, green living, grammer, how to write fiction/nonfiction, etc. (I'm a hoarder thru and thru....lol). If the kids want to know about birds, math, or some country...I've probably got something to at least give them a start and I can find it....in less then a minute. Then all I have to do is go to my kindle, type in the name of the book, download it and the kid has it. Or I just click on it and there it is on the computer for them to read. Wonderful program. They will still have to find more books thru the school and the public library but they'll have a better idea of what more they need to know on the subject.

One more thing, then I'll be quiet. I have a lot of educational apps that I got for free. Everything from math to science to grammer to well everything. I'm in a much better position to help with homework, cause I can review or learn from the app and turn around and use it to help them. Sometimes, they can use the app to get a better understanding of the topic. Almost any app for the Android OS will work with the Fire and it's upgrades.

I don't use my Fire for browsing the web, accessing my emails, or watching movies/videos (the screen is just to small for me) but I have found it to be the best thing "since sliced bread"....LOL. I use it daily!
Old 12-28-2013, 01:29 PM

I got an iPad for Christmas. Am still trying how to set it up and put my Kindle on it.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks for that info - never heard of it.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:51 PM

You could also load all the great Fabric/Quilt related apps on it...heres a link to a blog post about them. I have a tiny memory smart phone only, so I just have the Robert Kaufman Fabric Calculator on it, but it is GREAT when shopping!
Heres the link to the blogpost: http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2013...art-phone.html I would love to have a Kindle, for now I just have the app on my phone, so I can read books there
Old 12-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Congratulations! I also got one for Christmas if if were not for my grandson I would not be able to do anything yet!! I still prefer my desktop computer. I have not found a book to download that I really want to read yet.
BookBub has free books daily as well as one you can buy low cost to down load on Computer the on to Kindle etc. it comes to Your Amazon Account and its free to join....
Old 12-28-2013, 08:27 PM

I have had every kindle so far and just got the HGX for Christmas. I love it!!!!! I read everyday. read my email. Read this email on there and play games and do lots of other stuff. Facebook, bookbub etc. Enjoy it!!! You will love it as soon as you get you get used to it!