Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?" >

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

"How much would you charge to make me a quilt?"

Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 AM

I think you're undercharging. However, some people do not have a good concept on how much a quilt costs to make with the fabric, batting and thread costs. They usually have sticker shock when you tell them.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

I think I would charge $100 plus materials and give her the estimate before starting. Also I would want to price it high enough that I didn't end up doing several at $50 bucks a pop.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 AM

I think that you're under charging. I would say a minimum of $100 and she buys the fabric, batting, thread, etc., but make sure that you're with her when she does, so that you can show her the difference between decent fabric and not so decent. I would also tell her that you need 50% down on your labor, the rest is due when the quilt is delivered/picked up.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I think I would charge $100 plus materials and give her the estimate before starting. Also I would want to price it high enough that I didn't end up doing several at $50 bucks a pop.
Tartan has a good point. Consider what's worth your while, if several others also want one. Also consider the fact that a Queen is a lot more trouble to move around on the machine, than a Twin!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

The first question to ask yourself is whether you want to make the quilt or not. If you do, you may be happy with a token payment, which is what I think the $50-75 would be. After all, that's probably less than a longarmer would charge to just quilt it with a simple allover design. If you don't want to make the quilt without being paid a reasonable hourly wage, then probably all you need to do is tell her how much fabrics cost and the offer will be withdrawn. If she still wants to go ahead with it, you should consider how much time it will take you and how much you want to charge per hour and present her with that charge for labor, explaining how you arrived at it.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Oh I so agree!!!!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:26 AM

I think if it is someone you work with and you get along with them I can understand why you wouldn't feel the need to charge full price. If you want to do a token charge I see nothing wrong with that... but I would definitely tell them that you are giving them a bargain and are not charging full price. That way if there are additional requests you can say "I would have to charge you full for that one, I can't give too many bargains".... unless you enjoy sewing and just are happy to have the fabric paid for. (sometimes I feel that way myself... I give so many away it would be nice just to have someone pay for the fabric)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:48 AM

If it were me, I would definitly charge $100.00 plus depending on size and the cost of materials ,or she/he gets all the materials in advance. Buyer pays half down and balance upon completion. You can never get enough for your time and talent that goes into a project. Some folks just see a quilt and want it but have no idea the cost of fabrics per yard, the time it takes to cut it, then sew together and then quilt it. All they see is a beautiful quilt with beautiful colors and designs. Dont sell yourself short. If they really want it, they will pay for it.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 AM

You have some great suggestions here to choose from. I just enjoy making quilts, so I would probably be fine to charge $50 - $75. That would buy some new fabric for my trouble. If it is going to be a problem for you to have time to make it, then charge more. It really boils down to how you feel about it personally.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Honestly, I feel like $75 is a good price based on what the quilt will take you to make it. It is a fast pattern to do and by the time the person pays for the materials, you will price them right out of the quilt if they have to pay more than that.
I wouldn't even consider whether or not my price would "price them right out of the quilt". Women tend to worry too much about others' considerations while they short-change themselves. Voice of experience here, and I'm really trying to reform.