Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right?? >

I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right??

I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right??

Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Default I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right??

I finished my first Omigosh quilt earlier in 2013. See here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t217824.html

I would like to now make this pattern in a larger format and am struggling with finding measurements that work. The key is that the tiny square blocks in the 4 patches must be the same size as the tiny squares in the tiny 9 patches but the measurements have to work such that the size of the 4 patch when put in a square in a square block has to be equal to the 9 patch block.

The measurements in the Omigosh pattern as it is written work perfectly. I have only found sorta close. If I cut the strips at 1.5 inches --the 9 patch would finish at 3 inches and the 4 patches would finish at 2 inches. Making the 2 inch (finished) 4 patch into a square in a square results in a bit excess background around the corners of the 4 patch (around 1/8 of an inch or a little less). Not a huge amount and I haven't finished up beyond making the 4 patch square in square block. A 1.5 inch (unfinished) strip measurement will result in a 9 inch finished shoo-fly block and large 9 patch block.

Just wondering if you have upsized this pattern and would be willing to share with me your measurements for your strips? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 PM

My blocks are 7 1/4, is that big enough? PM me if that works for you and I'll send you the info.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 AM
Banned

I don't understand what you are trying to do.....enlarge the basic block to make it easier or enlarge to make a larger quilt. If I were doing it....I would.....
Draw on graft paper the block the size I needed it to be.
Measure each component to determine the size of each piece or strip to cut.

But remember it won't be just doubling or whatever increase you need because you might end up with very odd sizes.

However. It would be useful to know the reason you want to resize. There may be an alternative.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 AM

If the 9 patch pieces and the 4 patch are the same size, this is a pattern that never should work out. I suspect the reason it does is the very small size - the amount the pieces are out is hidden by the level of accuracy possible at that size.

For those interested in the math - you want a 9 patch equal to a 4-patch square-in-a-square. If I am seeing the pattern correct that means that the length of 3 of the small blocks (the size of the 9 patch) has to equal the diagonal length of 2 of the small blocks (in the 4-patch). But, math tells me the 9-patch has a size of 3x (3 times the strip width). And the 4-patch has a size of 2.83 times the strip time (2 * square root 2). Doesn't matter what your strip width is - the sizes won't match.

Your 4-patch strips need to be 1.06 times the size of your 9-patch strips. As I said - negligible when the strip is less than an inch wide. At 1.5" for the 9-patch, the 4-patch should be 1 and 1/16 inch. At 2" for the 9-patch, the 4-patch should be 2 1/8.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Afraid I can't help you with the math but that is the most stunning version of the Omigosh quilt I've ever seen. I'm always attracted to it and always chicken out because the little squares are so tiny -- how big ARE they anyway? I can see myself going blind ...
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 AM

If this pattern can't be made with larger pieces, I guess I'll cross that one off my Bucket List, because I had planned to enlarge it. Maybe I'll just be content that the squares in the 9 patches and those in the 4 patches are different sizes. I think it would still be a jaw droppingly gorgeous quilt.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Beautiful quilt! I wish I could help you - love math, but my head is clogged and not working well. Maybe someone with a quilting program can help. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel View Post
Afraid I can't help you with the math but that is the most stunning version of the Omigosh quilt I've ever seen. I'm always attracted to it and always chicken out because the little squares are so tiny -- how big ARE they anyway? I can see myself going blind ...
The original pattern which is how I made my rainbow Omigosh has the tiny squares finishing at 1/2 inch so that the small 9 patches are only 1.5 inches finished. It is very tiny but makes a very striking look. I have been working on some sample blocks that will have the "tiny" squares finish at 1 inch. This is so much more manageable but the quilt is very labor intensive. I'll post once I have my samples together. There is actually a lot of work just to get 2 sample blocks complete!!
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 AM

I make three-inch 9-patches all the time but I've never worked with one-inch strips. Does Sue Garman recommend pressing seams open when working with patches that small?
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM

No, she says to "press to the dark fabric and be careful not to stretch the strips when you press". I burned myself many times trying to hold open the strips and press because your hands are in the way with such small strips and pieces. I would really like to visually see how to press such narrow strip sets. In videos, they are always working with wider (2.5 or larger) strips so they just "toss open" the strip but that doesn't work with 1 inch or even 1.5 inch strips.