Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Rodney quoted his friend:

"There's the craftsmanship of certainty and of uncertainty. The perfection and repeatabilty of work done by machine is the craftsmanship of certainty. The work done by hand where no two pieces are alike is the craftmanship of uncertainty. It depends entirely on the skill of the person doing the work."

AWESOME! Shared this with my artist husband who wants to post it on his FB page :-) .

Last edited by sews; 12-14-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Rodney that is a perfect way of explaining it. Now I can end the ongoing debate between me and my mom. She does beautiful hand work, I do machine work. She says machine embroidery is like cheating, but my hand work sucks so I do it by machine.

Cari
Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 PM

I have to say that there seems to be a certain skill to setting up an embroidery machine too. One person I know keeps telling me that her machine is broken because it stitches the first color of a built-in design right, sometimes even the first few, then it scoots off and puts the last color or maybe the last one she tries somewhere completely different. Yet somehow, if someone else sits at the machine and does it, it works. As a certified tech for that brand, I have nothing I can troubleshoot to fix the problem she's having and the mother company has no suggestion other than "try another pattern?" because there are no real diagnostics for that situation. I've sat with her while it stitches out a pattern and the machine behaves.

The same is true of computerized quilting machines. There's a skillset in setting things up to work like you want them to, especially for custom work. It's a different skill set and some people love that vs the "manual" method. Sometimes it's even predictable. I'm a computer technician by training, you'd think I'd have a computer on my machine. I don't. I went completely the other way with sewing machines - strictly vintage or hand-guided.

I agree with Rodney's friend's definition though. Predictability does come once one has developed the skills to make the darn machine do what you want it to when you want it to.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM

In my area, it's usually a PICNIC: Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
In my area, it's usually a PICNIC: Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.
Oh that is perfect! I'm going to embroider that into a wall hanging, on my machine of course, lol.

Cari
Old 12-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I have to say that there seems to be a certain skill to setting up an embroidery machine too. One person I know keeps telling me that her machine is broken because it stitches the first color of a built-in design right, sometimes even the first few, then it scoots off and puts the last color or maybe the last one she tries somewhere completely different. Yet somehow, if someone else sits at the machine and does it, it works. As a certified tech for that brand, I have nothing I can troubleshoot to fix the problem she's having and the mother company has no suggestion other than "try another pattern?" because there are no real diagnostics for that situation. I've sat with her while it stitches out a pattern and the machine behaves.

The same is true of computerized quilting machines. There's a skillset in setting things up to work like you want them to, especially for custom work. It's a different skill set and some people love that vs the "manual" method. Sometimes it's even predictable. I'm a computer technician by training, you'd think I'd have a computer on my machine. I don't. I went completely the other way with sewing machines - strictly vintage or hand-guided.

I agree with Rodney's friend's definition though. Predictability does come once one has developed the skills to make the darn machine do what you want it to when you want it to.
You know, when I bought my first embroidery machine I bought a design set that would do the same thing. I tried 3 or 4 designs in that set and they all stitched out parts of the design out of place. Now that it's been a while and I know what I'm doing, I should try them again. I did find on other designs that problem occurs most often when the item is hooped too tight. There is a big learning curve with machine embroidery and I keep all of my test stitch outs so I can refer back to them to see what works and what doesn't in the way of different stabilizers or hooping methods for different fabrics and different types of designs. I'd bet money she's doing something different at home than what she does when you sit down with her.

Cari
Old 12-14-2014, 05:21 PM

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/art/4805487909.html

$600 "Made in Germany"

Here it comes in handy to know your history and geography. This machine is from EAST Germany: "Hergestellt in der DDR" and I personally wouldn't touch East German products with a ten foot pole. They are all considered to be very inferior, made by state owned factories where nobody really cared too much about anything since there was no competition in the market place. ("VEB Naehmaschinenwerk")

BTW, it can do SS *AND* ZZ, that *must* be worth $600 --- or 600 East German Deutsch Marks LOL
Old 12-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Went this morning to buy this, only to get one with a cockroach on it . once and we walk through the mud. The seller starts in with >>> "I looked in the internet last night " " I think is was made in 1911 what do you think" reply yep around 1911.

seller. "I going to have to get alittle more for it" ( just not from me) so the price went from $5 usd to $30 usd

The guy was a 30 ish type, so anything from 1911 is valuable, rather than tell him where to kiss himself, I told him how to clean it up and maybe find parts for it, plus gave him an address 10 miles away to a singer treadle that works for $40.

I head home via a hardware store for more glue. In walks my cousin, he tells me, he and rod are repairing a door at the CC center come over and shoot the BS. I do.

Then tell this SM story. rob looks up and starts in with his dads machines ( Old Fred)

I told this story afew days ago.... Turns out There is still over a 100 machines , between 20/30 complete treadles Rob is Freds son, He said go see him.

the machine are still there, there in the same place, last time I saw them must have been mid to late 80's. There's a little sewing machine Gold mine there .. Gold being toys to play with.

I have to thank the C/L seller for jacking the price or I wouldn't have stopped at that hardware store today

Betting Fred has 3 complete Franklins lolol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502525[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 00e0e_b0ewdoy9hnz_600x450-1-.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
well, I have the opposite problem - I can't find machines!
You can also come to my house. I have some spare older cabinets, tops mostly.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:44 AM

This seller needs their bubble burst. . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique...item20f28b5854

if you really think you have something rare and unusual, you could at least take halfway decent pictures of it. . .