Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room >

Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room

Why I shouldn't clean my sewing room

Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM

I organized my sewing room last week. At least my cleaning lady was able to sweep the floor. She usually throws up her hands, screams and goes to the next room. lol I was floored at the amount of fabric that I have. No more buying unless it is for a project that I have started. I am trying to focus on one project at a time and get it done. We won't go into the number of UFO's, WIP's and PIGS. I started counting and ran out of fingers and toes.
And there are still some boxes that I did not unpack since moving two years ago.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM

My New Year's resolution was to clean my sewing room. Like the writer, I found several UFO's that I vowed to finish before I take on a new project. I have one done and I am working on another. The third one I took to my weekly quilt group, so I can work on it there without having to pack it back and forth. I took a whole shopping bag o patterns and things that I would not use to my monthly quilt guild. They loved it. The thing I was looking for, I could not find.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I solved the problem of tidying up a messy sewing room: MOVE!!! We just moved this past weekend from an 1100 sq ft home where my sewing room was 9 x 10 and my new room is 16 x 34. Now all my stuff will be in one area and not spilling over to the garage and the spare bedroom. I haven't even tackled putting my area together yet. That is on my list to start tomorrow!!

i do have to add that during our move I came across a quilt that I had made to keep a couple of years ago. It has never seen the light of day but now has taken its rightful place on the back of the sectional!
Let us all see you new room when you have it done. 16 x 34 makes me green. I have maybe 5 sq feet and have to use pool table or dinning table, which DH never clears his "work table" stuff off. We have 2000 SF of stuff in a 1200 SF house. Enjoy your new space.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 AM

Well, let's face it, ladies. If you keep everything clean, you don't have time to sew. At least, that's the way it is at my house. My DH and DS don't lift a finger so if anything gets done..... I'm the one to do it. And, I love to sew, quilt, make baskets, spin yarn, make cards...... you know the drill. The list goes on and on. I have to keep things at a certain 'clean' level and I try hard to do that but 'me' time is important, too. So, I've been hand quilting a quilt stretched out on my quilting frame while looking at all the straightening up I need to do in my basement sewing area. It's not a pretty sight but I'll get to it ..... slowly because I need to get that quilt finished first.... LOL!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Periodically I have to clean up my sewing room so I can mess it up again!!
H-m-m. I can really relate to this. Also, with my stash, UFO's, and printed projects to try, I need at least 50 more years to get everything done. At age 82, this might be just a wee bit difficult!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:16 AM

It's amazing what you uncover when you do a deep cleaning of your sewing room. When I get mine wonderfully organized is when I become unable to retrieve what I want. I can visualize where things were before the order. Usually hoe out in January. Last year at this time, I stored away two honey buns. Took me two months to find them again. Still isn't it fun to reintroduce yourself to fabric you forgot you even purchased.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 AM

So with you on this one! I started to re-organize my sewing room last week. One week later what I hauled out into the family room is still there, and DH just asked me, "Is this going to stay here indefinitely or are you going to put it back?" So off to work I go, getting things put back into new places so I can re-discover them when I'm trying to find something else in a few months. For some reason, when I'm re-designing my room in my mind, the room is bigger and has more space! Funny how that works, isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice if it really was as big as our minds think it is? ha ha, oh well, off to work I go.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM

I am a binge quilter... and after a long binge... my cutting table ( a good size ) get s down to barely 12 inches of useable space. I have make myself give up the impulse to start another project and tidy up. I feel so much better once its done , but its the starting of the clean-up that's the hardest. Its a vicious cycle, one I have made a resolution this year to break... now make myself tidy before "closing down" for the evening.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM

I just finished cleaning/reorganizing my sewing room and now I enjoy just standing in the door and looking at how neat everything looks and then there's the closet------I don't even look in there!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM

I'm cleaning. Found 15 tops that need finishing. NO new fabric until the 15 are done. Hear me? Okay, I feel better.Which one do I do first? Hmmm, what about the .....NO do not think just grab and go.See you all in about 3 weeks.