Dental Insurance

Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM

Default Dental Insurance

Does anyone out there have dental insurance that is not through work but bought privately? I am in the senior age group and need some dental work done that will cost quite a lot so wanted to see if anyone could recommend dental insurance?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I would like to find out about this too. We have had dental insurance through work for years, but I am wondering what we can do after my dh retires.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Dental insurance is almost useless these days. Sure, they'll cover 100% of 2 cleanings per year but the limits they have on other procedures are almost a joke. For example, they have a limit of $1500/year and over that, it's all on the individual. So maybe one crown a year might be mostly covered and that's that. Hope you can find something out there that works for you.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Can you call your current company and ask if they sell any policies reasonably priced or can they refer you?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

you might call a Dentist's office and talk to them about what insurance companies they usually deal with.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

We priced out personal benefits and they came to just about what we would okay out of pocket anyway. They didn't cover the big stuff so we pay as we go.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM

It's not insurance but you might look for a dentist that offers Care Credit. I've used them more than once....you can pay for procedures over, I think, about $200, over 6 months and if pd off on time, there are no finance charges. Other dr's use it too as well as vets---I've used it at a vet's too.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:55 PM

We checked into dental insurance -- you paid for a year before you could use it and then the benefits were minimal. We just pay as we go and don't let the dentist talk us into what we consider unnecessary procedures.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
It's not insurance but you might look for a dentist that offers Care Credit. I've used them more than once....you can pay for procedures over, I think, about $200, over 6 months and if pd off on time, there are no finance charges. Other dr's use it too as well as vets---I've used it at a vet's too.
I was going to suggest this also. I don' t have it, but a friend does and told me about it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by sweet View Post
Dental insurance is almost useless these days. Sure, they'll cover 100% of 2 cleanings per year but the limits they have on other procedures are almost a joke. For example, they have a limit of $1500/year and over that, it's all on the individual. So maybe one crown a year might be mostly covered and that's that. Hope you can find something out there that works for you.

I AGREE. READ THE POLICIES BEFORE YOU SIGN UP.
My last experience with dental insurance stated in the new policy that it would NOT cover the first crown until after the policy had been in place 2. Years. My husband changed jobs before that went into effect, i needed FOUR crowns to repair and replace a couple of old ones. (Front teeth). I paid out of pocket $3,600 to get this done..worth every penny.

Start a savings plan to take care of dental expenses, work out a payment schedule with your dentist . I found it cheaper to pay as I go vs. monthly premiums esp since the policies are not covering the big ticket items until you pay into the policy for a predetermined wait period.

i found healthcare was cheaper to personally cover my mammograms, PAPS and general lab work and office visits myself vs paying inflated"premiums". We had "catastrophic" individul out of pocket healthcare plans that covered the "what if" we needed ER and/or surgeries. We are, fortunately healthy middle age people...no meds needed. The dirty little secret is that I learned two decades ago that if you paid out of pocket the routine healthcare, you kept the premiums low. And let insurance cover the big $$ occurances if needed. (Indvidual plans...not employer subsidized plans) . But...we all know that may be "history".

Sandy