Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki TL-98 Q >

Juki TL-98 Q

Juki TL-98 Q

Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 PM

I really like the size of this machine and it's decent amount of features for a good price. I haven't tried freehand quilting yet, but it looks like a lot of fun. I originally was going to save up for a Bernina, but it is just so darn expensive that I'm not sure it is a good idea for a beginner. I've checked through the older posts and learned a lot already but I still have a few questions...

Does it offer anything similar to the Bernina Stitch Regulator?
Just how quiet and smooth running is it in comparison to something like a Bernina?
Can I adjust the stitch speed slower/faster?
Does it only have a straight stitch?

Mostly, I'm having a bit of trepidation over the fact that I cannot find a local shop to actually try one out in beforehand. I'd hate to spend the money and be dissatisfied. Also, I'd have to go through a sewing/vacuum center for repairs and I'm not too sure how the service would be.

If any owners out there can give me further feedback, both pros and cons I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Does it offer anything similar to the Bernina Stitch Regulator?

no but if you put it onto a quilting frame (think Grace) you can buy a stitch regulator that works with this machine on the frame.

Just how quiet and smooth running is it in comparison to something like a Bernina?

IMHO its slightly louder but the stitch is just as beautiful if not better.

Can I adjust the stitch speed slower/faster?

yes

Does it only have a straight stitch?

only straight stitch, so keep your old machine for zig zag and any other fancy stitches you might like to use.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:22 PM

klue-

Thanks so much for the info. It's good to hear some general ideas. I won't have the room for a frame for a long time, but then again, I haven't done any freehand quilting and not sure I would enough to discount this machine.

It's funny to think of my older machine as having "fancy" stitches. :) But yes, I think I would need to keep it around for the zigzag stitch alone.

PS. I noticed that you work in the science field. I work at the publishing company Cell Press as an editorial assistant. Maybe your familiar with our journals?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

I had all the same questions you did and no room for a frame. I checked out alot of machines and finally decided to go for the Juki. This was almost three years ago and let me tell you I have given that machine a workout. It runs great. It may be a little louder than my regular machine but it runs like a dream and the stitches are great. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have quilted a king size quilt on it with no problems. Do I need to mention I love it. :D :D :D :D :D Oh, and the price was great too.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM

I love love love my Juki TL-98Q!!!!!