juki

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Has anyone used one of these machines/frames? I would love to have a long arm quilting machine but cannot affored the $18,000 ones!! Maybe up to $5000....
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/grac-sturdy-jukiqe-gspeed.html

i have one, this is the one i bought. ceannastahr told me about it. She uses her's all the time, she be the one to ask questions. I haven't used mine yet . Good luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM

I bought a Juki 98q. It came last week and I've been sewing non-stop practically. As recommended, read the manual first- it really helped. I've made a tablecloth and 8 napkins using the rolled hem attachment. Finished a UFO baby quilt with the 1/4" free motion foot. Working on a table runner to match the napkins and tablecloth. I still have a set of curtains to make to match. (Daughter is going to Japan and the sizes of tables and windows are so weird!)

I'm waiting for my frame- a handiquilter. It was to be shipped yesterday. I plan on setting the Juki on it and leaving it there.

I bought the frame, used, from Craiglist and the Juki from EBay. I was going to purchase locally but the nearest place was 1 1/2 hrs. away. The draw of free shipping from Ebay and having my own UPS acct. from work for the frame allowed me to save about $500 overall. I was patient and watched for deals and price comparison shopped before deciding on the Juki and handiquilter.

So, it's like Christmas- having a new toy to play with. I do feel guilty a bit because it's expensive, but it is already paying off with the ease of the projects being made and the results just look so much better (I'm stopping short of professional- I've seen the pics of quilts done by people here and I'm in no way on their level of expertise).

Barb
Old 04-01-2008, 12:52 PM

I have a grace frame with a Juki 98QT. I love them! I bought the frame off craigs list. It had hardly been used. The lady was unable to use it due to her health. It came mostly assembled. We just took it apart enough to get it in the van to take it home.

I was using a Bernina 850 Record (about 35+ years old) with it but was concerned about burning up the motor so Santa brought me a Juki 98QT. Great machine! It sews very fast!!! I have just made a few quilts so my quilting is free motion. I haven't tried to follow a pattern yet. I just turn on some good music and "go with the flow". Very fun!

My favorite feature on the Juki is the thread cutting button. (not all models have it) I think it is worth it!
One draw back-it can be a bit tricky getting the bobbin in. It is a little space and if you have big hands it might be a problem.

My grace frame is set up for king and it will stay that way. It isn't easy to change back and forth. It takes a lot of room, so consider that when planning out your space. I have storage bins under it and rolly carts with fabric and notions. Works well for me.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/grac-sturdy-jukiqe-gspeed.html

WOW!! What a great price!
Need to call them to see if they'll ship here. I could have it shipped to a friend in the states, but I don't want it sitting around for over a year before I use it.

So, those of you who have Long Arms....would you purchase this ? ?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I have a Juke 98QT. No frame yet. Not enough room but I'm working on it. I love my machine and have quilted four quilts already. The machine sews like a dream. I figure by doing my own quilting on two king sized, one queen size and one double sized quilt I have paid for my machine. Again, I love it.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 AM

I agree- just the cost savings for quilting yourself vs. sending it out- pays for itself in no time at all. I calculate just my UFOs will make it pay for itself and clean up a shelf.

I also agree with the thread cutting feature. It saves about 3 inches of thread each time. That adds up too- not to mention less clean up.

Can't wait for the frame to get here. I don't know where it's going yet, thought the formal living room we don't use but daughter is packing her stuff to go to Japan in there and you have to wade through the boxes. I more week and it can be cleaned! Then I'll take over!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 AM

Thank you each one for your input on the Juki/frame question. I guess I'm unable to justify the costs (for new anyways) because I do all my quilting by hand... I'm sure my husband won't see the savings in time will pay off eventually... oh well... I'll keep saving my pennies and see what I can do. I'll keep an eye on Craigs's list and ebay. I'm glad to know you like the Juki - seems to be less expensive than the others.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 AM

I have to call those people to see how much shipping is to Guam,,,that is IF they'll even ship here. I have a space for it, just need to rearrange this little room of mine. I'll have to get a few bins to put some fabric in, but that's ok.
Already talked to hubby about it and he said I could get it. (Like he has a choice in the matter).
He says it will be my birthday/Christmas present. hehe