Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas 2014? >

Christmas 2014?

Christmas 2014?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 AM

Default Christmas 2014?

Have you started making gifts yet for Christmas this year? I'm starting to make up my list of things to be made.

My daughter got married in September last year, after only three weeks' warning (her husband was joining the Army and they didn't want to have to wait for her to move with him once he's stationed), and I told her I'd make them a quilt for Christmas this year. And then, she got pregnant before he left, and the baby will be just shy of six months old at the holiday, so I've decided to make some soft blocks and some panel books if I can find the material for them.

A couple of years ago, I made my dad a quilt for Christmas, so now it's my mom's turn. I haven't made any decisions about colors or patterns but she's getting a quilt this year, one way or another!

I've also considered making small ornaments for my extended family - brother, his wife and all four kids; my sister and her husband and their two girls; my in-laws.

My mother-in-law was married last year so I'm thinking about doing some placemats and napkins for her new home. My husband's grandmother may be receiving a couple of embroidered towel sets.

Do you have a list yet? If you do, what kind of gifts are you going to be making? Very little of my list is set in stone yet, so if someone has some good ideas, I might be making some changes.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM

No wonder your starting now for Christmas!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how you'll get everything done by then. Maybe I'm just slow. LOL I haven't started even a list of what I want to do yet, and if I don't get something done they will still get the gift wrapped in Christmas paper. LOL
Old 02-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Next Christmas? I'm still working on LAST Christmas!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM

I'm doing this at the moment. http://www.stitchintree.com/FreePatt...nPopStars.html . Now the nice thing is it's shown 4 differents way so you can have four different looks. I think the 2 star method could make for some nice placemats. I'm using what I have on hand with a WoW background and my scrappy squares that I've been making from my scraps. I do tend to several holiday swaps, so this is helping me along so I'm not manic sewing coming Nov.

Toodles,
Tricia
Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Yes, I have started. Made 6 sets of hotpads. Will embroidery on some towels to go with them. The first set of three was a kit from Connecting Threads. Have fabric to make 2 sets of 8 placemats.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM

I haven't started but I have been thinking about it.

What I would like to do: make a simple quilt for each of my grandchildren. I should have 13 by then but several are little ones still so they would be baby quilts.

You are right, I do need to make the list and then start plugging away. Thanks for the 'let's get started... at least thinking about it' push.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:00 AM

A little bit! My niece has outgrown her "pink and girly" phase and is now on a "dark and evil" phase so I was thinking of making her a new quilt that's a little more macabre. The one I made her for Christmas '12 is pink and girly and just doesn't suit her new tastes! And of course if I make one for her I need to make one for her brother.

I have other projects to work on this year though - my DH's brother and one of my long-term coworkers are both getting married in August (not to each other; separate weddings) so that's two queen-size bed quilts to make before August. And another coworker (who is essentially my best friend) just let me know she's pregnant! So I need to make a baby quilt and some baby "stuff" for her new little one, and also I think a 'big sister' quilt is appropriate since her first (and until now only) child will be 7 when the new baby arrives and I don't want her to feel left out! She's due in September, I think.

Sheesh...I need to get crackin'!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM

I am finishing up some Christmas UFOs and starting one Christmas quilt from scratch. My kids will get to pick what they want from what I finish. I am hosting a fabric swap with my one small quilt group that meets monthly. We are using this: http://www.redroosterquilts.com/shop...quilt-pattern/ Its a free pattern, but I can only find it here. The bow is a flying goose! Looking at this in print...I think I better get a move on!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Next Christmas? I'm still working on LAST Christmas!
LOL, yup! I started making several quilts last year 2 of which are for coworkers I am exceptionally close to. Realized if I gift a quilt to coworkers I better do them both at the same time. Tops are now done so I just have to find time to quilt them.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 AM

I've thought about gifts but haven't started them yet. It's actually what I'm planning to do for our next Virtual Quilt Weekend I'm making some ornaments for everyone, some fleece hats, yarn necklaces, I think it's called a biscuit basket, and other odds and ends hopefully. I'm only planning one quilt, and that's for my parents. I'm open to ideas as well so will be checking to see what others are doing.