Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat in the store? >

Cat in the store?

Cat in the store?

Old 02-28-2014, 04:38 PM

I sure wouldn't what to buy fabric for store that has any animal in them. I don't want hair all over my cloth
Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM

I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but don't mind well behaved pets in a shop, because I take my allergy medicine. But there is NO amount of allergy or asthma medication that will allow me to be exposed to smoke, perfume, or more than the least little bit of dust. Exposure to those can be a matter of life or death. In virtually all of the locations I've been in, smoking is not allowed, but that doesn't stop smokers from standing outside a door, blowing smoke in the face of all potential patrons. I even had one woman with a lit cigarette try to hold the door open for me while I was carrying a tank of oxygen. I couldn't even approach the door close enough to ask her to leave. If any smoke, perfume (including potpourri), or dust is detectable at the door, I cannot enter the store.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
As a former shop owner, but cat enjoyer, it makes me crazy when I discover a cat at a quilt shop.
If I go to the grocery store there are no cats inside.
If I go to the department store, there are no cats inside.
If I go to a mattress store there are no cats inside.
Or at a framing shop.
Or a bakery.
Or a hair salon.
Or a school.
WHY??

Because those places are BUSINESSES that serve the PUBLIC! It is bad for the bottom line to alienate a significant part of the customer base over having the owner's "darling" with her all day at the PLACE OF BUSINESS!! Duh!

Unfortunately too many quilt shops are NOT RUN by BUSINESS owners, but by hobby-ists. And too many quilt shops don't stay around long either. So sad.

Jan in VA
Actually, I have seen shop animals at almost all of those places. Locally owned shops of all kinds may keep them because they create a homey, welcoming atmosphere.

Lots of folks prefer to shop in family owned businesses and a shop animal is a good sign of that, too.

That decision doesn't make the business unprofessional or the owner a "hobbyist", or doomed to failure. I'm sure in some regions, evidently yours for one, shoppers are looking for a different experience than those in other areas, like mine. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. If you choose not to shop in places that have shop pets, then more power to you. But let's not belittle the very successful businesses that cater to a different type of customer.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 PM

This is a very interesting thread! I don't mind pets in stores at all. We had a decades old bookstore that had a cat as long as I can remember. It added to the charm. There is also a small jewelry store that I frequent. Most of the time there is only one young lady manning the store. She brings her dogs with her every day for protection. They do stay in the back of the store and don't mingle with the customers. Most of the older farm stores have cats, after all, they do store tons of grain which mice love. I guess my take on this subject is that I can choose to go or not to go in a store for whatever reason. There are some restaurants that I won't go to because they are dirty. Carpet stores kill my eyes. Its my choice.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:18 PM

I love and have cats. I also like kids. But there are some places, I think neither one belongs. Fabrics are like a fur magnet, so probably not a good idea to have cats or dogs in a fabric store. Those with allergies could wind up in a very uncomfortable situation if purchasing fabric with pet dander, and they were unaware. At least the shop owner should post a sign advising patrons that pets are on premises.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by SB13 View Post
How is the shop owner responsible for YOUR allergies. That is like someone going in Walmart down the candle isle, or detergent isle and suing walmart becasue you had an allergic reaction. This is as bad as the guy on the news today suing McDonalds, because they didn't give him enough napkins. For one and a half million dollars no less. At the last minute he had to throw in the race card and claim the manager said "you people". If he did, he could of meant you idiot, not race.
Well, to stay on topic ( and not bring up all sorts of spurious lawsuits), i think it can be argued that a person entering Walmart can reasonably expect that candles and other aromatic things are sold there. They can avoid them if they choose. It's also a much larger space in terms of concentration. But one does not normally expect pets in a quilt shop and may not know it until it's way too late. I don't know about legal responsibility for sure, but morally, to have caused such an incident would be very troubling. I am not talking about the "take an allergy pill and i can pet my cat" allergy. I'm talking about folks with severe asthma, and a 5-year-old that you have to check for bluish fingernails. They have to live in the world, not in isolation. And they know what to expect in Walmart or PetsMart, and know what to avoid. They don't have that expectation in a quilt shop. I would never want to be responsible, legally or morally, for that sort of distress or worse. Just because i wanted my pet with me.

JMO,
Charlotte
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 PM

I am allergic to both cats and dogs, but cats more severely. I would not be able to shop in a store or purchase fabric from any, that had a resident cat. It's too bad for those shop owners who allow their pets to accompany them to work and thus send some of their customers away. People who don't have allergies, don't seem to understand how miserable an allergic reaction can be. I can possibly manage to be in the same house/shop with a cat for maximum of an hour, but by then I'm sneezing and totally clogged up and miserable. It then takes me several hours to get back to normal. If I knew a cat was at a shop, I just wouldn't even go there at all. They'd miss out on any of my business for sure.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:20 PM

There's a quilt store in Austin,Tx that has a resident cat. It lays all over the bolts of fabric. Lots of nice fabrics, but I can't go inside; because I'm very allergic to cats and have asthma. I haven't found an allergy pill that will protect me from cat dander.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 02-28-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The only place a pet belongs is at a vets office or a pet store. Not in a quilt shop!
I'm thinking you meant, the only public/business place....

I LOVE cats and like dogs, but I don't think either belongs in a fabric store, ether the owner's cats/dogs or the clients' (except seeing eye dogs and I doubt most of their owners are doing much fabric buying).
Old 03-01-2014, 05:32 AM

I still say it goes back to the owner's choice if thier pet is there or not, as it is your choice to go or not. But for all of you throwing a fit over a pet in a store, you had better think twice before you buy online again, for anything, as you never will know what has been all over your product. And like I said before, I am not indifferent to those with allergies as I have been an asthmatic for 54 years, so I know what it is like. BUT I am not going to put my problems off on the rights of others!