Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have to start over. >

I have to start over.

I have to start over.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:40 AM

I commend you for considering the "browns" even though you already had a top made for the baby. Poor baby is all I can say. I know how new moms like to have "themes" for their nurseries, etc. so when I make a baby quilt, I tell the new mom that this is not a quilt for the nursery. It's for the baby to drag around, to nap on, and to cuddle, and to bring along in the car. And I've see these "non-theme" quilts used.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 AM

My psychology professor at university wore only shades of purple from the tint of her hair, to her umbrella, to her car, well, you get the idea.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:34 AM

wow, never heard of such a thing. Babys usually navigate towards color, brighter the better. Maybe her room is in browns?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 AM

I think I would finish your original quilt and tell Jen, it's for the baby not for her. I can't image only browns around me. EEK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM

I'm not a "brown" lover either ..... but have just made a brown quilt! Maybe this young mother to be is color blind and can't really see colors. Rare in women, I think, but possible. Anyway, brown and cream will make a beautiful quilt, one the expectant mother will be happy with....and the baby won't be able to distinguish color for awhile anyway, so won't care!
Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM

I dont ever remember hearing about a "flimsy"?? Forgive my ignorance, but what is it?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Margie View Post
I dont ever remember hearing about a "flimsy"?? Forgive my ignorance, but what is it?

Sorry, it is just an un quilted quilt top

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 03-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
My manager is the same way but when I made her a baby quilt I used blue, green and yellow. She loves it! So just because the mom may like brown, that doesn't mean she won't appreciate bright colors for the baby.
I would consider doing that too, however my friend aka grandma to new baby told me that Jen only has browns for their 5 year old daughter also... I really want a quilt I make to be used to pieces, that is why I will make another...good practice. I will be sure to post photo when completed.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Browns for a baby? Sounds very dreary to me. Every baby I know loves bright colors, but to each his own. Good luck with your brown quilt; but you have a bright and cheerful quilt for the next baby that comes into your life.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM

I ran into a similar situation with my niece who had her first in January. She wanted only gray & navy for the nursery for a boy and NO animals! I wound up making a BIG star using 4 shades of gray solid for the points and navy for the background and backed it with grey minky. BORING! But it's her choice, not mine. So far I have not seen ONE picture of it with the baby, of all the ones posted on FB. My SIL keeps telling me how much her daughter loves it, but I'm not believing it! I've made tons of baby quilts through the years and always made them bright & colorful to stimulate cognitive development. Well, that's the last time I make anything for her anyway. Not so much as a thank you.