True for quilting too.

True for quilting too.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 AM

joyce888,
IMHO, you might need to keep him!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I went to the Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta yesterday. My husband said something that I know he truly feels; he doesn't want the perfect quilt. He wants the one that was planned, thought out, labored over , and was given with love, warts, and all.
My thoughts exactly
Old 03-16-2014, 03:57 AM

My quilts have hung at the county fair, and local quilt shows. They don't go to juried quilt shows. Some have won ribbons, etc. But the best awards are the hugs and remarks from the grandkids when they hang on their beds. Just yesterday I gave a requested quilt to my 42 year old grandson and he said, "Grandma, this is SPECTACULAR!" He gave me a big hug and a kiss and that's the best award of all! No ribbon or amount of money could replace the love he expressed.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Here's another....a line from Desiderata - "if you compare yourself to others, you may become vain or bitter - for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself"
Your Vonnegut quote was really inspiring......and i'll remember it when i am feeling a quilting low.
I try to look at it this way....I want my quilts to reflect the vision i had - if there is something i don't like - i do my best to fix it. But i also know that if i practiced every day all day for most of my life - i could never paint the Mona Lisa....Same with quilting...mine will always be the very best work i can do - but my best will probably be shabby next to someone else's best. I'm ok with that.
My feelings exactly. I absolutely do my best & so far all of the recepients are sew very grateful & that's the most important aspect for me.
I also have a very supportive & encouraging hubby who thinks my quilts are fantastic - how can you
beat that ???
Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 AM

2manyhobbies,

What a great quote! Thank you for sharing! This will continue to inspire me as I quilt down two paths. One is making "covers" for Project Linus mostly. I try for fun fabrics and easy patterns expecting these quilts to be used and abused with love. The other path (with FAR fewer quilts made) are quilts that are "pretty" but more challenging. They may be a Bonnie Hunter Mystery or the like just to stretch myself. These are done mostly for my DH who enables my fabric and other quilting purchases something terrible. I must say that I learn from both but I enjoy making the covers for the kids far more.

I prefer my quilts to be used - worn out even - and not kept for show. Yesterday I had to repair a scrap quilt I made in the 70's that my DH used to wrap a chair we bought. The wind damaged two corners but that was fine. This quilt has been "in service" and has earned its stripes!

About a month ago, I took my Easy Street to my son and one week later, their heating went out just ahead of a snow storm. They put Easy right to work and I was thrilled. Every quilt needs a job. For some it's to be seen and admired. I will never make these kinds of quilts but I so love to go visit them and be blown away and inspired when they are displayed. That also makes my soul grow.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 AM

Life is full of ups and downs just on an ongoing basis. Quilting is the one thing in my life that I can pretty much count on to restore peace and certainly contentment. I may tire of a single project, but, I never tire of the process and the challenge of doing my best work. I would like to enter a competition just for the fun and experience and I keep saying I am going to do it but never quite get the job done. Quilting is my therapy on many levels. I can't imagine not being able to do it. It is like the glue that holds the rest together. I strive for new accomplishment because I am an adventurer but I am happy with what I do. I give most of my work away because I like to share with others who have needs or just because I care about them. Our world is full of difficult things and I need a place of peace-in my sewing place.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:32 AM

I've copied some of these wonderful quotes in my quilting notebook: quotes from Kurt Vonnegut, Dessiderata, and the husband of Joyce888.
They will continue to give me inspiration and joy.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 AM

I agree. I try to improve with every quilt, but don't beat myself up over imperfections. I'm retired. Quilting is a hobby, so my main objective is to enjoy. If I can do that and end up with a pretty quilt, I'm satisfied.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 AM

Wonderful quote. My quilts are for me or people I love. Each one gives me more knowledge about quilting and keeps me out of trouble! I don't even share what I do with my guild. When I joined, they made sure that I knew there were several quilters who'd shown quilts in Paducah. Kudos to them, but I don't need their critiques to make my quilts okay. I do love to learn new things, and if I ask that's a whole 'nother thing than being told!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:26 AM

The only person you should compare yourself with is yourself. If you tell yourself you can't do something you are setting your self up for failure. Better to tell yourself I'll do that some day with plenty of practice, and even if I don't make it I'll enjoy the journey trying to get there.

Aim for the moon, even if you miss you'll end up among the stars.