Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True for quilting too. >

True for quilting too.

True for quilting too.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM

What an inspirational message. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM

I totally agree. I've been quilting for many years and I don't know if my quilts will win awards at shows, but my friends and family love them and use them up, and stand in line for new ones. That's a reward you can appreciate every day.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:54 AM

How can our art go wrong when so many wise people draw strength from it? A truly inspiring thread.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I went to the Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta yesterday. My husband said something that I know he truly feels; he doesn't want the perfect quilt. He wants the one that was planned, thought out, labored over , and was given with love, warts, and all.
Joyce I agree totally with your husbands sentiments.

I don't strive to make quilts that are award worthy or perfect. Just to the best of my ability which hopefully continues to improve with time. I thus far seem give all my quilts away as gifts, my award is the happiness that my far less than perfect quilt brings to the recipient. Should there ever be a quilt policeman checking out a quilt I've made and they judge it imperfect I just won't respond to their summons to court :0)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:20 AM

The quote is apt for everything we do in life. My quilts will never hang in quilt shows or be featured in magazines, but the joy they have brought to my family and friends is all that I will ever need. I make mistakes, get frustrated; but I've learned so much by taking time to learn new techniques and practicing over and over again. Thank you for passing that quote on and God bless your DH for his fantastic support.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
I went to the Sewing and Quilting Expo in Atlanta yesterday. My husband said something that I know he truly feels; he doesn't want the perfect quilt. He wants the one that was planned, thought out, labored over , and was given with love, warts, and all.
Joyce what a wise husband you have , I feel the same way.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 AM

Another thought - comparison robs the soul of joy.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
I had returned to my motel, after listening to a wonderful speaker at the Oshkosh Sew-in, slightly depressed about my quilting compared to her phenomenal work. She has published many books and has won countless awards. My pieces, compared to hers, look amateur and very un-prize worthy. Granted, she has been at it 33 years to my 6, but I don't think I could have produced anything near what she has even if I had been quilting that long.

I turned on my Ipad and immediately found a post from a friend on Facebook. The post was a letter Kurt Vonnegut wrote to high school writing students. The second paragraph moved me instantly and I saw my quilting in a new light. Here is what it said:

" Practice any art, singing, music, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, essays, fiction, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money or fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow."

Beautifully said, don't you think? Yes, I have made mistakes in quilting. But I continue to practice, go to workshops, meet wonderful people, and enjoy buying even more fabrics for my growing stash. What could be better than that?
That is so true,so many people are discouraged from showing their own expression because they see perfection in others.We should be like children in many ways and just 'do' and enjoy .I always thought I was no good at art,then in my later years discovered patchwork and quilting,I am in no way an artist but have found an outlet in creativity.I see so many peoples work that is amazing but still through simple teaching have passed on the message that what you make can be unique.x
Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Keep this in mind...you will be neither bitter nor vain....

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. ― Max Ehrmann, Desiderata : A Poem for a Way of Life
Old 03-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I absolutely agree with that statement. I'll never be an award-winning quilter, but my friends and family admire my work, that makes me feel good and why I continue to quilt, plus quilting helps keep me sane (although sane is a relative term). LOL