Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I went to just pick up a pair of Wiss Professional Buttonhole cutters.... >

I went to just pick up a pair of Wiss Professional Buttonhole cutters....

I went to just pick up a pair of Wiss Professional Buttonhole cutters....

Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Mine were found in the hidden door of a Touch & Sew cabinet...
Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
number stamped on the Wiss 1226......
According to my 1975 Wiss catalog, the 1226 shears are “Knife Edge” “Bent Trimmers” that are called “Carpet, Upholstery and Fabric Shears”. They’re “Hot Drop-Forged. Polished Blades. Patented Set-Easy Pivot. Royal Blue Handles. One blade is ground to a knife-edge for faster, cleaner, easier cutting of today’s synthetic fabrics.” They are 12 inches long, with a 6 1/8 inch length of cut, and weigh about 1 1/4 pounds.

See any Royal Blue Paint left on them?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I’m not being argumentative, but actually, I think that most of us call any big ol’ honkin’ shears, “Tailor Shears”, but there were only a few styles that were actually labeled as such by Wiss. All types of industries used large shears, and according to a 1975 Wiss catalog that I have, Steve’s scissors were probably called something else, and appear to be of the 20 or 22 series of “Bent Trimmers”, either regular or knife edge.

I had a pair given to me (that I also thought were Tailor Shears), that are actually #4-I.S. “Upholstery, Carpet, Canvas and Sailmaker’s Shears”, 12 inches in length, with a 6 1/8 inch cut, and weigh 1 3/8 pounds. If Steve can read the number on his (on the back side that I can’t see), I’ll see if I can find their official name in my catalog and give him the specs. Here’s a photo of Tailor’s Shears, and a photo of my shears.

CD in Oklahoma
Well, hush my mouth. Since I come from a family of tailors, we wouldn't have dreamed of calling them anything else.

"Hon, have you seen my carpet shears?" Nope, not in our vocabulary...hee, hee. Thanks for the info though.

~ Cindy
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
According to my 1975 Wiss catalog, the 1226 shears are “Knife Edge” “Bent Trimmers” that are called “Carpet, Upholstery and Fabric Shears”. They’re “Hot Drop-Forged. Polished Blades. Patented Set-Easy Pivot. Royal Blue Handles. One blade is ground to a knife-edge for faster, cleaner, easier cutting of today’s synthetic fabrics.” They are 12 inches long, with a 6 1/8 inch length of cut, and weigh about 1 1/4 pounds.

See any Royal Blue Paint left on them?

CD in Oklahoma
barely have black paint - they do cut even thought they were rusted