Another shipping question....

Old 03-20-2014, 04:59 AM

Default Another shipping question....

So I've looked up shipping rates for usps, FedEx and UPS. I'm finding that $50 should cover all the charges, but I see people charging $25 all day long on ebay. Are they just eating the cost? I'd love to ship that cheap, but I can't figure out how they do it without sacrificing the integrity of the package. Ideas?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 AM

You can ship a 30lb package with FedEx for just under $25, with eBay discounts. I usually add $10-$15 for materials on top of that. I don't get free stuff, so the costs add up on the boxes and packing materials.

As far as the people that have low shipping rates, they are either eating part of the cost, or skimping on the packaging.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 AM

They price the machine accordingly. There are many buyers that see high shipping costs negatively, but not higher prices.

I always look at the total costs. I've bought machines with free shipping and a $100 starting bid - to $75 for shipping with a starting bid of $10. However I also feel sellers that do it this way are trying to fool the buyer - hoping they will focus on the low price and not realize the shipping is making up for it. But some of my best deals are with high shipping costs - because no one else bids on it -indicating the buyers aren't fooled, and maybe turned off by it.

My husband hates high shipping costs, so he'll chose a low shipping option even if the total out of pocket for him is the same.

If you are going to put higher shipping costs, then make sure to explain the extra effort you'll put in for packing, so it looks like the buyer is getting their full value for the perceived higher shipping costs.

Remember -it's MARKETING that sells, more than anything else. There are some sellers I never buy from, they are very good at marketing and consistently get higher prices for their items. I go after the poor marketers that are selling the same thing, but can't draw in the customers so their items sell for less.

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-20-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 AM

I'll have to look into those ebay discounts. Thanks for your replies!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 AM

I've not noticed a correlation between what the seller charges for shipping and quality of the packing job. Experience seems to be the key - so if a seller is charging a low shipping and has no history of shipping a machine, I will contact them about it before bidding and then decide if I'm willing to take a chance. I've bought from several sellers with lot of experience that charge actual shipping, so they are including any shipping supply costs in the cost of the item, and they do know how to ship a machine safely.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Remember too, most of the shipping companies charge different (higher) rates when items are shipped to/from a home address vs a business address. Could be the reason for some of the lower costs.