Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Go" Cutter or Brother Scan N Cut >

"Go" Cutter or Brother Scan N Cut

"Go" Cutter or Brother Scan N Cut

Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Default "Go" Cutter or Brother Scan N Cut

Was all ready to order a Go Cutter when I saw the Brother Scan N Cut. What better place to see which is better and opinions on both machines. Please give opinions and reviews. If there is another machine that does the same thing, please review that one also. Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 01:01 PM

I own the AccuQuilt Go machine and enjoy using it, but if have found that they do not have the dies to cut the sizes I need. So if the the Brother cutting machine will give you more choices in the sizes of your pieces then I would choose that machine.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:03 PM

I have a Baby GO and I like it. I will have to confess that I don't use it much. I wanted it for the applique dies. I am predominately a hand quilter. I make a lot of Linus blankets and that is mostly where I would use the motifs I cut out with the Baby Go. They are easy to make with iron on fusing on the back of the fabric. Then you just iron the cut out motifs down to set the fusing and blanket stitch or zigzag around the motifs. They also allow you to make great iron on motifs for decorating sweatshirts etc.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM

I love my GO and use it quite a bit especially the strip cutters. You can cut up to 6 layers with the GO and it's my understanding you can only cut one layer with the scan n cut.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 PM

If those were my only two choices I might get the Go. but I had it and sold it and bought the big shot pro and love it. I don't think I'd use an electronic cutter for quilting very much.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:16 PM

They, to me, are for different things. The go cutter I would use to cut quilt pieces. The scan & cut for involved applique pieces.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have the GO, two of them actually, one for home and one for travel and/or back up... I love mine.. I got mine a long time ago when they first came out and when the handle broke hubby got me a new one while AccuQuilt fixed the broken handle - on AQ's dime... I have most of the dies now, well not all the appliques but my favs are the 2x2 / 2.5 /bricks / all the rags - who wants to snip ?!?! NOT THIS GAL !! / both tumblers / and the specialty ones like DWR , again, who wants to cut all those by hand ?!?!? .... im not a fan of the strips, but i do have them.. it seems that i can slice my own faster than the time takes me to perfectly fold and lay it on the die.. That beign said, i do use them to cross cut.. whoever came up with that idea that was just plain fabulous.. the dies can get pretty pricey but online almost everything goes on sale, ya just have to keep looking... The Mats IMHO are not bad cost wise.. they are alwasy on sale somewhere and i do see them as disposable so i ALWAYS have a back up mat to the back up mat to the back up mat.. yes i do keep 3-4 of each size mats on hand.. if im on my last two, well there always my birthday, mothers day, valentines day and Christmas... Just have to hint to hubby I need replacements.. lol..

So for me the GO was well worth it.. I use it all the time.. IM a scrapper.. and it has utilized scrap fabrics for me that i never would of tackled otherwise..

The scan and cut is a ONE layer ONE cut machine.. It would not be something I would use on a day to day basis like my go.. Unless i did appliques ALOT...
Old 03-29-2014, 08:06 PM

There was a lady on here the other day that says the scan n cut does more than applique I pmed her but haven't heard back as she seemed to really love the scanncut for quilting. I have a sizzix and am looking to get the scanncut soon. The negative to the die cutters are the expensive dies, and the scanncut is more versatile in that you can resize things. I do believe it comes with quilt block shapes. I wouldn't use it to cut strips, but I haven't used my die cutter either as I find the june tailor shape cut pro the best for strips and faster. I would search for the other thread from a few days ago was almost identical to this
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

It all depends on the type of quilting you do and what you want to accomplish. If you do a lot of traditional piecing and just a bit of occasional applique, then the Accuquilt product may be your best bet. YOu can cut multiple layers of fabric at a time, so you can quickly cut a whole quilt. You can also cut strips the width of the fabric. A downside is that you are limited to shapes you have dies for, so you need to purchase them and store them. You can have an unique die made but there's the cost of that and the lead time. It's also a manual machine, so you need to turn a crank handle. There's no electricity involved (which is a plus for me!), and no computer skills needed. It's a simple machine, there's not much that can break
If you do a lot of applique, then the scan n cut may be the best option. You can only cut one layer of fabric at a time, however the cutting is mechanized so could load a piece of fabric and let it do it's thing, load the next etc, but it will take a while. You are limited to the size of the cutting pad, so you can't cut width of fabric strips. If you need a slightly larger or smaller patch or applique cut, you can adjust it right in the machine. No need to buy and store additional dies. If you want something unique, you can just scan it in, no expense of a new die, and immediate gratification!! It also has the ability to draw the sewing lines on your patches, so if you mark your seams this is a bonus. It is computerized and you need electricity, a bit more that can go wrong.
I do mostly patchwork, so I have an accucut. Go to the brother site and watch all the videos on fabric cutting, then go to accuquilt and watch theirs. this should help.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 AM

How do you cross cut on the go? Is there a site that I can go to so that I can see how they do it?

Thanks