Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could there be a long arm in my future? >

Could there be a long arm in my future?

Could there be a long arm in my future?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:52 PM

I love the Avante. It was a snap to learn. I've tried the ProStitcher and it was great.

I know HQ has many educators around the country and great support.

If you have the room the largest table you can have.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM

OOOOH OOOOH ! I have the Avante!!!! And I LOVE it!!!! I've had it......3 or 4 years! I can't remember!

I don't think they're any harder than any other machine. It's LIGHTWEIGHT.....I've test drove all the brands and I STILL think this is the best....because it's so lightweight. I can actually move the head with 1 finger!!!! On edit.....I don't have the computer..The computer DOES make the machine heavier.

I don't have tension problems any more!!!!!!!!!! NOTE the any more. I fought this sucker for the first 1 1/2 yrs or so.....and I was furious! I had the dealer/repairman finally come to my house after 2 times of taking it in. He immediately saw the problem. The back rollers were TOO HIGH. He moved them down .....said the fabric would move up and down and "saw" at the thread. NO problems since then. (the funny part....HE was the one that set up the machine!!!!)

I bought the maintenance program.....but I'm not sure you will need it!!! They're pretty darn forgiving. They only require oiling in one place and you access that from the outside. Find out how much a yearly cleaning will cost and see if that works for you.

Get the longest table you can fit in your room.......believe me....you'll definitely want to try out the BIG quilt.

I know nothing about the Babylock

Now here's my advice for ANYONE that wants to buy........Buy one that has a dealer/repairman NEAR you!!! I was babysitting a different brand for a friend......it was a piece of cr##....and the dealer/repairman was 4 hrs away. That is a pain in the neck!!!!!!

Oh -- HQ has online videos that help a LOT.....and if you can afford it, they have an "academy" in Utah!!!!

Good luck......have fun......and ENJOY

Last edited by amandasgramma; 03-31-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Yes, summ06, we were at the Evergreen Quilt Show and I was impressed with the dealer there. I had the thought of visiting their showroom this summer to check things out more thoroughly. We are also thinking of waiting on any decision until we go to the Madison Quilt Expo and test drive the other longarm machines. That will give us time to think it over. I am glad to hear that others with shoulder issues can use theirs just fine. That sure makes it more tempting and we do have a finished attic with enough space to fit a 12' frame - once we move some stuff around. The tip on stretching before getting going is one I'll have to remember. This is sounding more promising!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 PM

I am a fair Fmq quilter on my domestic machine but had basically never used a long arm until I took classes at the AQS show in Lancaster. HQ supplied the machines for the classes. It took me a bit to make the switch from sit- down to stand up but by the end of the classes i was perking right along. I loved how easy the machines were to use. If I could have afforded it I would have bought one there and then.