Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What Do You Wear When You're Quilting? >

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

What Do You Wear When You're Quilting?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM

I never go out after sewing because I get up throw on sweats and a shirt and hit the basement. If I need to go out I'd have to do makeup, hair and put some decent clothes on.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
I never go out after sewing because I get up throw on sweats and a shirt and hit the basement. If I need to go out I'd have to do makeup, hair and put some decent clothes on.
Yes, one must make an effort, mustn't one?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Most people pick off a stray thread and say, "quilting again, Sandy?". I will have to remember some of those responses.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I guess I'm lazier than you are. When people see the threads on me and point it out, I just say, "I come with strings attached."

My alternate is, "Careful. Those are my heart strings."

Most people chuckle and drop the subject. Quilters generally say, "I'm going to have to start using that!"
That is cute. I have a VERY warm apt, never gets below 74 (and I don't have the heat ON). So I just wear a tank top and shorts that I would never walk outside in ever. That keeps my dress slacks clean of thread. I guess any type of apron that is more like a dress would work best like my Grandmother use to wear in the kitchen. Make it out of quilting theme fabric. Thanks for the post. I thought I was the only one with this problem.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

Ha!!! cute question. I do actually not wear shoes, but what ever I happen to have on otherwise is fine.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Usually I wear clothes... Would be afraid I'd burn myself with my iron if I sewed "nekkid". LOL

I usually wear either jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt, or fleece pj pants.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

When it's warm enough I sew (and wander around the house all day) in my panties and a tank top.

Saves on laundry, air conditioning, shoulder pain from bra straps, de-threading, and accessorizing.
It can be awkward if somebody surprises me by coming down the drive to the end of the lane though!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:05 PM

Most times I sew in sweats or shorts/t-shirt depending on time of year. If I'm planning on doing major sewing - which obviously includes ironing/pressing, I wait to shower/'dress' after that because I'm a sweaty mess after major sewing. Ergo, the clothing is irrelevant. If I'm just doing some 'quick & dirty' sewing with a bit of pressing/ironing, I'll go out with threads attached if not noticed. So far, no one has felt compelled to comment on any of my 'accessories'. But I'd go for the over-large man's shirt if you're concerned.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
When it's warm enough I sew (and wander around the house all day) in my panties and a tank top.

Saves on laundry, air conditioning, shoulder pain from bra straps, de-threading, and accessorizing.
It can be awkward if somebody surprises me by coming down the drive to the end of the lane though!
If only! We live waaay too close to the street in a very small town to be able to get away with that! But boy would I love to. So envious!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:15 PM

I tell everyone its my trademark to be covered in little bits of thread. I wear whatever I put on that day.