Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any thoughts about juicing? >

Any thoughts about juicing?

Any thoughts about juicing?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Default Any thoughts about juicing?

I just ordered a Breville Juice Fountain and a book of juicing recipes from Amazon. Hoping to improve our nutritional intake and possibly lose a few pounds. Experiences? Suggestions?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:45 AM

I prefer my veggies whole. They fill you up and stay with you longer. I can barely choke down V8. Good luck.

sandy
Old 04-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Messy and a lot of work. I agree, its better to eat whole.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I have the Breville juicer. It's not messy at all. Easy to clean or I wouldn't use it. Juicers have improved a lot. I keep my grandsons during the day and we juice everyday. They will drink the juice of all mixed veggies if I toss in an orange( be sure and peel the orange) and grapes. The fruit gives the juice a nice sweet taste. Celery is the strongest taste so we don't use that. I usually do carrots, red bell peppers, kale, broccoli, cucumber, orange, grapes and tomatoes. The pulp looks pretty but don't try to eat it. It's insoluble fiber and will cause digestive problems. You will have several cup fulls a day of pulp so no use saving it unless you start a compost pile. The juice won't taste fresh if kept so only juice what you will drink at one time. I started juicing for the kids everyday when they were about a year old. They are healthy, full of energy, can focus on tasks, rarely sick, no allergies, and fun to be around. There is no way they or I could eat all the vegetables in one day that one glass of juice holds. Their Dr. said they had a very strong immune systems. They don't catch whatever symptom is going around and I seldom do either. I think diet is the key to good health. I love my Breville.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-06-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Wanted to add that I have had lots of juicers over the years and the Breville is the best I've used. The Jack LaLanne one is less quality then the Breville, looks the same but does not perform the same. I used one at a friend's house before I decided on the Breville.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:54 PM

I was curious to know why you say don't eat the pulp? I thought that was supposed to be consumed as well. We normally stir in a few tbs per drink but if this is not recommended now, we will stop doing that. I just would love to know more about the reasons for not consuming pulp.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Messy and a lot of work. I agree, its better to eat whole.
I agree although the Breville is the best I've used. You just have to remember:

"Fruit juice 'as bad' as sugary drinks, say researchers"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272438.php

"Monday’s medical myth: fruit juice is healthier than soft drink"

https://theconversation.com/mondays-...oft-drink-4182

"
many fruit juices and smoothies contain more sugar than the World Health Organisation recommends an average person should consume in a day"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ar-levels.html

and so on ... plenty more of this on Google. Simply you're better off, healthwise, just eating a piece of fruit.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM

(double post)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the comments.

There are two types of fiber -- soluble fiber, and insoluble fiber. Recommendations to eat more fiber rarely distinguish between the two types, but it is very important to know if you are older and/or if you have IBS. This is because ingesting too much *insoluble* fiber can cause painful digestive upsets that can last several days. Most of the fiber in vegetables and fruits is of the insoluble type. Those of us who are sensitive to insoluble fiber need to limit our intake of insoluble fiber and make up the difference with *soluble* fiber -- ground up psyllium (Metamucil), ground up organic acacia, etc. As long as the juicing pulp does not cause gastric distress, it's fine to eat it; I will not add it back in because I have IBS and have no wish to be in pain for several days.

Thanks for the juicing ideas, Onebyone! I would never have thought to add an orange or grapes to a veggie drink to make it more palatable.

I think that diabetics have to be careful not to cause their sugar levels to spike from drinking fruit juice. Eating the whole fruit has the advantage of the insoluble fiber in the fruit slowing down the absorption of sugar. I'm not planning to juice fruits by themselves anyway, so I'm thinking there won't be that much fruit juice in the veggie drinks I make.

Although dh and I probably eat better than most people, we often don't get the recommended variety of veggies and fruit on a daily basis. I'm hoping juicing will help with that. It's kind of hard to know what goes with what, though, which is why I ordered a book of recipes along with the Breville juicer.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-06-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM

My husband did a juice only fast for 11 days for weight loss. He lost 14 lbs., stopped snoring almost completely AND had much less severe sleep apnea, had more energy and felt very focused BUT his eyesight got blurry. His eye dr. told him he should have never gone on a juice fast only because of his diabetes. I did the juice fast for 3 days (I noticed I had more energy and my breath didn't smell as bad in the morning like when I eat meat) and then switched to juicing/smoothie for 2 meals and 1 regular small meal a day-I did that for 4 days and for the 7 days lost 4 lbs. Now I make a smoothie for breakfast. I put whatever fruit I have on hand, a kale leaf, a few baby carrots, yogurt, coconut water, and powdered protein in it. It's yummy and usually fills me up for several hours. My best advice to you is to talk to your dr. BEFORE you start juicing-especially if you are going to do a fast or substitute meals with the juice.