Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Sewing on bleached muslin >

Help! Sewing on bleached muslin

Help! Sewing on bleached muslin

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Default Help! Sewing on bleached muslin

I bought 120" wide 100% cotton bleached muslin at Joannes. It has a nice feel and is medium weight. The problem is, my machine makes a horrible racket when I try to sew it. Sounds like it's trying to hammer through the fabric. I'm only sewing on two layers. I stop and put in other 100% cottons, and it sews smooth as silk. Has anyone else had this problem? I bought it to make Cathredral Windows. Making the "packets" on the machine (or trying to) and sewing the "window panes" by hand.

Any insight or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Did you wash it? I'm thinking that if you did not wash it, some of the "finishing" chemicals that are given to fabrics before they leave the factory may be the problem. If you did wash it, then I'm thinking there may be a mismatch between the type of needle you are doing and the weave of this particular fabric.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I agree with changing the needle. The muslin might be a bit higher thread count.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:35 AM

I would change my needle before I would wash the muslin. Muslin comes very wrinkled and is not fun to iron after it is washed.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Did you wash it? I'm thinking that if you did not wash it, some of the "finishing" chemicals that are given to fabrics before they leave the factory may be the problem. If you did wash it, then I'm thinking there may be a mismatch between the type of needle you are doing and the weave of this particular fabric.
No I did not wash it. I wanted to wait until it was done so that it would shrink up and have that old fashioned look. I am using a Schmetz 75/11 quilting needle. The only other ones I have are the 80/12's.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:13 AM

I would try just putting in a new needle the same size as you are currently using. Try it. If it is still making the noise, step up to the 12s. I use Legacy Studio's wide bleached and unbleached muslin for everything. Just a great hand, feel and washes up so beautifully.

If you are using the Sewing Essentials, I have never had any real luck with them. Sorry.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Which brand are you using, legacy, roc-lon, or sew essentials because I use their legacy line almost exclusively and never have a problem sewing on it, and it softens even more with washing.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I don't normally prewash fabrics, but I would for a Cathedral Windows quilt. This is because a Cathedral Windows quilt is fabric only -- no batting. It might be a good idea to make a sample without prewashing and another sample with prewashing, just to see what the quilt looks like after washing. I don't think the "puckery" look I like in quilts made with batting would translate to a Cathedral Windows quilt.

Has anyone here made a Cathedral Windows quilt?
Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Sounds like a burr on your needle that might not be as obvious when sewing other fabrics. Try a new needle. And I would go with the 12. I use a 12 for about everything, or go up to a 14 for some things.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I don't normally prewash fabrics, but I would for a Cathedral Windows quilt. This is because a Cathedral Windows quilt is fabric only -- no batting. It might be a good idea to make a sample without prewashing and another sample with prewashing, just to see what the quilt looks like after washing. I don't think the "puckery" look I like in quilts made with batting would translate to a Cathedral Windows quilt.

Has anyone here made a Cathedral Windows quilt?
I made one back in 1976 as a gift. I still have a couple potholders that I made with the test blocks. It is not my favorite stile but I love the little mini pin cushions.