Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Sewing on bleached muslin >

Help! Sewing on bleached muslin

Help! Sewing on bleached muslin

Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 AM

I would try using a larger needle. Find that will usually help with this type of problem.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 AM

Pre washing muslin is a MUST. It will shrink as much as 20%. Your hard work will be ruined. Prewaah then put in the dryer until damp, then iron dry.

Never go above a 12 needle for patchwork fabrics. Preferably an 11. The sizing in the fabric is causing your problems tho, muslin has sizing heat pressed into it.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

Has anyone here made a Cathedral Windows quilt?
Yes, I have..... so I have a few suggestions. First, you MUST wash the fabric. Like most everyone has said, muslin does shrink a lot more than normal quilting fabrics. And, I would try the 80- sized needle. The problems you are having most likely are from the processing chemicals on the fabric. When I made my quilt I bought a bolt of muslin from my LQS because I didn't want to run out in the middle of the project. I think this queen sized quilt used about 35 yards of fabric. The muslin I used was 44" wide.

Sometimes I'm so anxious to start a particular quilt that I skip the pre-steps like prewashing and pressing. I ALWAYS regret it. Be patient and you'll be more pleased with the results. Good Luck. I'm anxious to see your creation.
Attached Thumbnails 25ann-quilt.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:40 AM

Thank you all for your help. I changed my needle - it didn't help. I believe I bought the Roc Lon brand at Joannes. I brought out my old Singer and it sews right through the muslin with no problems. What you have said about washing the fabric makes sense to me, so I will wash a row of 5 blocks that I have done and see if it is going to have the look I want. If not, I'll throw it all in the washer.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

I agree with using a smaller needle. It might be a tighter weave.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Yes, I have..... so I have a few suggestions. First, you MUST wash the fabric. Like most everyone has said, muslin does shrink a lot more than normal quilting fabrics. And, I would try the 80- sized needle. The problems you are having most likely are from the processing chemicals on the fabric. When I made my quilt I bought a bolt of muslin from my LQS because I didn't want to run out in the middle of the project. I think this queen sized quilt used about 35 yards of fabric. The muslin I used was 44" wide.

Sometimes I'm so anxious to start a particular quilt that I skip the pre-steps like prewashing and pressing. I ALWAYS regret it. Be patient and you'll be more pleased with the results. Good Luck. I'm anxious to see your creation.
Your quilt is beautiful! Hope mine turns out half as nice. Thank you for the advice.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:19 AM

That cathedral quilt made by Nanna-Up-North is just beautiful. May I ask how you made yours? I have seen many methods, the packet by machine, entirely by machine.....have not seen one as even and precise as the one you posted. Thank you.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM

Muslin is all washed, dried and ironed. My machine is much happier with it now. Still getting some clanking sewing over seams, but not nearly as bad as before washing. Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 AM

I also hate that muslin can come out of the dryer terribly wrinkled and difficult to iron ... so I don't do it have not had challenges with it yet.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:04 AM

i just blew through a whole package of those quilting needles. they broke apart going over pieced triangle corners.

i changed back to my go-to 80/11 and no problems. i won't be buying those quilting needles again!

aileen