Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My first quilt retreat! >

My first quilt retreat!

My first quilt retreat!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM

Default My first quilt retreat!

I belong to a guild with about 60 members. Some great quilters, some beginners, some come to socialize, some work, some retired. I am 70, retired and have been sewing since I was 4 yrs old. I am new to quilting, mostly piece the tops and stitch in the ditch, so I don't really feel qualified to call myself a quilter. But I try.

We had the opportunity to book a great venue on a lake from Thurs from 1pm to Sun at 11am. The rate was better than I could imagine, $108 meals included for the entire long weekend! Though money is tight, I couldn't pass it up and I am so very glad I went.

I took way more things than I thought I would ever get to, pre-cut some borders, etc. and had all my supplies and tools well oiled and at the ready.

Everyone was so wonderful, what a variety of projects! Paper piecing (over my head and I am 6' tall!) Stack and whack, even a lovely bunch of Crown Royal bags that were magically transformed into a work of art (no alcohol allowed on the trip, but lots had been consumed to make this one). I sewed, ate good food, snacked endlessly, relaxed, we had a masseuse come in and give wonderful massages, and played with my favorite fabrics. I took 13 projects (no batting, just piecing) and FINISHED 11 of them!!!! I am soooo excited!

Someone didn't have a spare machine needle, "Oh, I have extras" was heard. Another had a machine die and was going to leave "Oh, I brought an extra machine, I'll go to the car and get it" was heard. Seam rippers were shared, binding was done by 3 people on one quilt to get finished for Quilts of Valor this weekend's presentation. One lady had a new machine and was having issues, several lessons were offered and accepted. People took time out to help, encourage and lift up those that needed it.

As I said, I don't do much quilting...one project I took was 4 bible verse (preprinted panels) wall hangings, I put a nice narrow flange, added 2 borders and was very pleased, but no idea how to quilt. A very experienced quilter was sharing how I could free motion in between the words, stipple the open areas, etc. but I don't free motion, and this was way above my level of expertise. They are to be donated to our guild quilt show for the bazaar table, so I want them to be nice. She very nicely offered to pack them up, take them home and long arm them! I offered to get muslin and batting first, "No, I have some wool batting I want to try out, and I would love to try my new silk thread if that's ok?" OK? OMG, I couldn't even imagine paying you, and of course she said she wouldn't hear of it! Where do these wonderful people come from?

I can't express how much I enjoyed the whole experience. So for those of you who have been debating as to whether to go to a retreat or not, GO GO GO! Even if you don't get anything done, it is so worth the experience.

This facility has a brand new building under construction, and we are all making plans for the end of summer when it will be finished....we all want to go back! I want to be first on that list!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great retreat with wonderful quilters!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

what a fantastic experience!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Wow that price sounds more than reasonable!! I've never gone on a quilt retreat.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:18 AM

Sounds like you had a great experience your first time. What you left out was at least a hint of where this wonderful facility was located. Perhaps you could share, at least a contact number or address. I am glad you had such a positive experience.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 AM

I am so glad you went! I have not been to a quilt retreat, but it sounds wonderful!

Dina
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 PM

Every retreat I've been on has mirrored your experience... quilters are just the best folks to spend a weekend together! So glad you had a wonderful time!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM

I have been to a retreat twice and both times I had the same experience. It was wonderful. The first time I went by myself and didn't know soul except the lady doing the retreat. The second time I took a friend. She wanted to book for the next year the first night we were there. Next time we are going to try talking some more of our friends to go along. It was great. If anyone gets the chance to go on a retreat, jump at the chance. Ours was a little more expensive than yours but that was my anniversary gift from my husband.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM

Sounds like you had a ball. This is how the retreats I have been to are. The only thing you have on me is I never get too many projects done. Too much fun
Old 05-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Wow what a fantastic treat for you!

Thanks for the really sweet review of your experience.